Author Topic: ERC is great bow wood!  (Read 50276 times)

blackhawk

Re: ERC is great bow wood!
« Reply #150 on: January 30, 2015, 09:08:59 pm »
I'm interested to see which station this train stops at!  Let the good times roll! 8)

This train never stops...you should know that  8)

Offline PatM

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #152 on: January 30, 2015, 09:34:30 pm »
Thanks Pat...that's the beauty.

She has a marked preference for longer and heavier arrows. I have some 750 grain ash 32" arrows that she launches like a science fiction rail gun!  When they hit the target you hear a heckuva WHOOMPH!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #153 on: January 31, 2015, 02:30:47 am »
Thanks JW and PatM. That bow is exactly what I needed to see. Thanks so much. I am glad it is still flinging arrows. It looks, and correct me if I am wrong, like the back of the bow was debarked and pretty flat. Also the strip of heart wood runs down the belly but the bow is mostly all sapwood. Also it looks like a pretty knot free with very straight grain. I really want to make a bow just like that if I can find a tree to harvest with that quality. It looks absolutely natural in it's form.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #154 on: January 31, 2015, 12:52:24 pm »
Dang Pearly, I hope the next bow I break gets 11 pages of discussion!  >:D Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline sleek

« Reply #155 on: January 31, 2015, 01:47:24 pm »
What about that one you broke twice?  The hickory bow?

Says Patrick " I dont know why it broke on that limb. My tiller was perfect. See, check out this sweet tiller! "
He floor bends the surviving limb. SNAP! And my buddy is left with a three piece take down and a bewildered look on his face. Hehe priceless.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #156 on: January 31, 2015, 05:21:51 pm »
Dang Pearly, I hope the next bow I break gets 11 pages of discussion!  >:D Patrick

The whole thing is blown way out of proportion now Patrick. It seems if anybody can make one hold together sometime soon, I'll be wrong about something and they'll be PA STARS. Never once did I say it couldn't be done, I simply said over and over that ERC is junk wood, specifically self bows, and it is 75% of the time. Ill just stick with my original sediments.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #157 on: January 31, 2015, 05:27:46 pm »
Hey Pearl,
Don't worry about the quarterbacks that get all the good press and headlines, be one of those lineman that knows who got him there........ :) ;) ;)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline sleek

« Reply #158 on: January 31, 2015, 05:34:52 pm »

The whole thing is blown way out of proportion now Patrick. It seems if anybody can make one hold together sometime soon, I'll be wrong about something and they'll be PA STARS. Never once did I say it couldn't be done, I simply said over and over that ERC is junk wood, specifically self bows, and it is 75% of the time. Ill just stick with my original sediments.

Can we now change the direction of the conversation to highlight the difference between sentiments and sediments?   >:D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #159 on: January 31, 2015, 05:46:51 pm »
Good catch sleek. I'm usually better than that with my grammar.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #160 on: January 31, 2015, 05:49:59 pm »
Where I come from in Canada "sediment" is a weighty opinion.  >:D

Offline GB

« Reply #161 on: January 31, 2015, 06:23:20 pm »
Where I come from in Canada "sediment" is a weighty opinion.  >:D
  ;D

I agree with PD.  Yes, ERC is very pretty wood.  I'll admit to being a cautious bowyer, but my go to shooters are osage, either from a stave or as the belly in a lam bow.  I shoot a few times every week in my basement and it's hard to keep good form if you're worried that the bow is going to explode on the next draw.  Of course, osage breaks too, but rarely especially compared to ERC.  And it's great looking wood in its own right.
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline sleek

« Reply #162 on: January 31, 2015, 06:29:42 pm »
Good catch sleek. I'm usually better than that with my grammar.

I was just messin with you, referencing earlier and the discussion on the word chuffed vs miffed.  Both of which my auto correct recognizes surprisingly enough. Your a good bowyer and I wish you posted more bows.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #163 on: January 31, 2015, 06:33:21 pm »
Yea I agree,
Pearl needs to post more of the bows he builds...
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #164 on: February 01, 2015, 03:02:02 am »
What about that one you broke twice?  The hickory bow?

Says Patrick " I dont know why it broke on that limb. My tiller was perfect. See, check out this sweet tiller! "
He floor bends the surviving limb. SNAP! And my buddy is left with a three piece take down and a bewildered look on his face. Hehe priceless.

Yeah sleek that one is a pretty good one. The hickory did have a pretty sweet bend until it had a series case of separation anxiety!

Pearl I hear ya buddy. Cedar is a very pretty wood. But I always thought of it as a belly lam. Never worked it myself, except to make cedar chest or furniture. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!