Author Topic: ERC is great bow wood!  (Read 50320 times)

Offline PatM

Re: ERC is great bow wood!
« Reply #135 on: January 30, 2015, 04:27:39 pm »
Than be interested in the changing use of language?  I just thought it was unusual that you would pick an obscure word  that also has the completely opposite meaning to communicate with an international audience that has probably never heard it used and likely never will again.  O:)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #136 on: January 30, 2015, 04:44:05 pm »
Pat your something else!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #137 on: January 30, 2015, 04:46:53 pm »
I think pat is just a little "chuffed" right now >:D :laugh:
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PatM

« Reply #138 on: January 30, 2015, 04:51:04 pm »
Pearlie, did I ever tell you that you a bad bowyer? Bad!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #139 on: January 30, 2015, 05:11:02 pm »
Nope, but your welcome to man! Im just picking on your perfection, its a fantastic quality to have.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #140 on: January 30, 2015, 05:35:32 pm »
 That will teach me to try to assuage a discussion by trying to make a comment seem positive.  ;D

Offline adb

« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 05:47:24 pm by adb »

Offline PatM

« Reply #142 on: January 30, 2015, 06:03:59 pm »
Yes, I get that.  I'm still wondering how it leaped over 150 years and to Canada.
 I was born in the UK and only ever heard it in a positive sense while growing up.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #143 on: January 30, 2015, 06:22:25 pm »
ERC exploded by a mere 15 lbs of tension stress and entire nations full of people divided asunder by a common language.  Boy these PA forums have everything!

OneBow

Offline adb

« Reply #144 on: January 30, 2015, 06:27:22 pm »
Well, Pat... I was born and raised in western Canada, with English ancestry on both sides. The only usage of this particular word I ever heard was negative. Chuffed means you are choked. How did that come about in Canadian language? Who the hell knows.
But, like my Mumma used to say... it's a great day when you learn something new. The only thing I don't understand is: how is this relevant to a discussion on one man's opinion of ERC as a bow wood? Sometimes this forum gets soooo far off topic, I find myself shaking my head in amazement.  ;D

Offline PatM

« Reply #145 on: January 30, 2015, 06:37:49 pm »
Well I was actually born in the UK and I have never heard the word used in Canada (outside my childhood home) in any form.
 What does this have to do with ERC as a bow wood? Well I thought Pearlie should still be chuffed with the general opinion of him as a bowyer despite ERC not meeting his stringent demands and I thought you did too  ;D

Offline adb

« Reply #146 on: January 30, 2015, 06:41:46 pm »
Then it's a good day Pat... you've learned something new!  ;D

Offline bushboy

« Reply #147 on: January 30, 2015, 07:10:24 pm »
Holy mackeral!i wish this year's bow trade hade a fraction of the enthusiasm that this one garners!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #148 on: January 30, 2015, 07:54:52 pm »
I'm interested to see which station this train stops at!  Let the good times roll! 8)
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #149 on: January 30, 2015, 09:00:53 pm »
The warbow was/is impressive, but the one that inspires me was made a few yrs ago by a young lad named Tom.  He went by the handle youngbowyer and I don't believe he was any older than 13 or 14.  I don't know where to start to find the pics, but I imagine JW could post a pic or two of it as I'm sure it still holds a place of honor on JW's bow rack.

Dang skippy, Tom/youngbowyer nailed the tiller on that 63# at 26", 66" tip to tip.  She's a hard hitter and fits the description that PatM posted from Ernest Thompson Seton.  The bow is unbacked and a shallow D crossection, bendy handle.

And what's the use of having Drums around if ya ain't gonna beat on 'em once and again?  Speaking of which, howz it feel to be bested in bowmaking by a 14 yr old boy?   >:D  Now go put on your pull-ups and start another piece of ERC and quitcher whinin'!  There's too much talking and not enough pitchers getting posted!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 09:06:52 pm by JW_Halverson »
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.