Author Topic: A First!  (Read 2174 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
A First!
« on: January 25, 2015, 06:55:22 pm »
I have made probably 2 dozen bamboo arrows now. I have never had one break during heat straightening... Until today. I cut knocks, Fletched and wrapped 4 arrows today before straightening. Broke 2 while straightening!  >:D I think I'll take the rest of this month off from working on anything!
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: A First!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 07:01:47 pm »
I have made probably 2 dozen bamboo arrows now. I have never had one break during heat straightening... Until today. I cut knocks, Fletched and wrapped 4 arrows today before straightening. Broke 2 while straightening!  >:D I think I'll take the rest of this month off from working on anything!

JoJo
I do all my straightening before I do all that work on them,  I sometimes get into a zone with a little music and a good drink and will straighten shafts for three or four hours at a time.  Then group them by spine and weight.  That way if any breaks while straightening it's no big deal.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 07:06:13 pm »
I normally spine, cut to length, straighten, fletch. But after so many successful ones I thought what the heck.  >:D One is for sure my fault, and one broke clean at a node. I don't think that was from too much heat, but my fault in that I should have flexed it before hand. Just another day of learning. Beats work any day!
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Drewster

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 11:37:28 pm »
I straighten mine first too.   And break one once in a while.......it's always a bummer, especially when you think you have a good shaft :-(
Drew - Boone, NC