Author Topic: Drying times on a couple staves  (Read 1921 times)

Offline Newbreedarcher

Drying times on a couple staves
« on: January 24, 2015, 06:36:32 pm »
Hey all,
   So, I recently received two Osage orange staves. Both were cut in December of 2014. They have sap wood on and the back and ends are sealed. My question is, how long should I let them season? They are inside my house, which is around 35-40% humidity. I have never worked with Osage so I am in the dark. Also I have two crab apple staves. They were cut about 3 weeks ago. So at the start of the new year. Bark is still on. I know this is a rarely used now wood, but I want to try it. So any advice on drying time for that wood be greatly appreciated as well. Thank you all very much.

Nick

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Drying times on a couple staves
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 06:42:55 pm »
You can remove the sapwood, reseal the backs and reduce the billets to almost bow size. I'd give them at least a couple of months to season. The crabapple will probably dry quicker. I'd do the same with it, remove the bark being careful of the wood under it, seal the back and reduce to almost bow size.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Newbreedarcher

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 07:26:15 pm »
Thanks pat! I have to say, this forum has the most knowledge and finest individuals of any I have been a part of!

Offline carpholeo

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 12:17:49 pm »
Thanks pat! I have to say, this forum has the most knowledge and finest individuals of any I have been a part of!
I totally agree

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 02:10:12 pm »

+2 well said! Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!