Author Topic: a bow named twofinger  (Read 5518 times)

Offline dylanholderman

a bow named twofinger
« on: January 24, 2015, 01:20:09 am »
hey guys here is my fifth bow maple bend through the handle and heat treated to raise the poundage a bit

61 7/8in ntn draw weight? 70-80lb maybe i dunno no way to test it other than guessing :-\

i don't normally name stuff but this one im calling twofinger >:D

tip over lays are osage and i'm a bit worried about them as they started to crack :'( probably going to pull them off and make new ones maybe out of a darker wood to better go with the black and white thing i have going on.

thoughts advice or insults welcome :o 8)

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
Re: a bow named twofinger
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 02:25:32 am »
Round the edges of the nocks more, there should be no sharp angle whatsoever and you want to spread pressure over them as evenly as possible; lesser woods work fine at those weights, it's a shape thing ;)
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 02:58:36 am »
Sweet tiller on that bow :)
Nice one.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 03:06:22 am »
  Nice bend on a 62" maple at that weight also... 8) How far you pulling her? How wide are your limbs?
                                                                                                                                         Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 04:51:10 am »
Great tiller, unbelievable it draws 80 pounds
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 05:06:55 am »
Cool bow, nice looking bend. Try the bathroom scale method for draw weight. Sometimes short stout bows seem heavier than they are

Offline Benedikt

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 06:31:28 am »
Nicce bow!
Only the heat treating could be more consistent next time ;)
A dream is not reality, but who is to say which is which?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 08:16:08 am »
looks like you are getting a lot of bend out of that bow.  Nice job.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 09:06:26 am »
Nice bend for sure on it!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 09:27:16 am »
Nice tiller for sure. Your weight guess is off about 25# bud! You can use a stick and bathroom scales to get you within 5-8# usually. Take a 4-5' long 2 x 2 and stand it on top of a scale, then sit your bow handle on top of that and pull downward. I rarely scale mine and guess quite often myself, generally the bows pull 2-5# more than I mark them.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 10:16:22 am »
Round the edges of the nocks more, there should be no sharp angle whatsoever and you want to spread pressure over them as evenly as possible; lesser woods work fine at those weights, it's a shape thing ;)

thanks do you think black walnut will work? i have plenty of it laying around ;D

Sweet tiller on that bow :)
Nice one.
Del

thanks Del that means a lot coming from you ;D your blog has been invaluable to me.

Nice bend on a 62" maple at that weight also... 8) How far you pulling her? How wide are your limbs?
                                                                                                                                         Don

don here shes probable around 27-28 but i know that I've pulled her back to 30 before. at the widest point limbs are just under 1 1/2

Nicce bow!

yeah i'm not very happy with how it came out but i didn't want to go farther and risk ruining it :-\

ok guys i tried the bathroom scale trick and was getting 87-90.3 lb the block of wood i had it sitting on it read as 9 lb, so that puts me around 77-80 right ??? assuming of course that my scale is fairly accurate ::) lol 

EDIT: i just tested my scale with two bows of a know weight and it looks to be reading about 5 lb heavy, that would make it 72-75 then i think :D
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 10:25:26 am by dylanholderman »

Offline steve b.

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 10:21:50 am »
That's a pretty nice bow.  Good job.  If you can do that with maple then I wouldn't ask about walnut--I'd just do it.  At worse, you'll live and learn something, at best, make another nice bow.

Offline Benedikt

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2015, 10:34:20 am »

Nicce bow!

yeah i'm not very happy with how it came out but i didn't want to go farther and risk ruining it :-\

Try to heat the whole limb at once ;)
A dream is not reality, but who is to say which is which?

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2015, 10:46:07 am »
Tiller looks great.  Nice bow.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2015, 10:48:59 am »
Very Nice full compass tiller on that one and quite an impressive draw weight with taking so little set!very cool!i love maple but am a little vary of it because of it's tendency to go off like a atomic bomb when they let go!lol!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.