Author Topic: Selfbow longetivity  (Read 7661 times)

Offline sleek

Re: Selfbow longetivity
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 10:03:48 pm »
Please tell me there are pocs of these Mary Rose bows at full draw! And, if they did this, then why is there debate over the strength? We should know what some of them weighed. Did they plot a fd curve?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline steve b.

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2015, 10:23:03 pm »
I know a guy who has made and/or sold between 1000-2000 primitive and modern traditional bows.  I asked.  He said that as far as he knows none of them has ever broke.  The one's that break, break during tillering.
My personal experience is that the "older" bows are more likely to break, especially the laminated bows, to the point that I refuse to pull one when I recognize it as 60's or early. 

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2015, 09:15:42 am »
Sleek, There are pics of these bows. A good source of info is Robert Hardy's book on the social and military history of the English longbow. Much care was taken to remove the saline and to dry the staves. A few did break. After being submerged for 350 years at the bottom of the sea its hard to know precisely how much the wood may have changed.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2015, 06:23:09 pm »
self bows last a good long while if made of good wood and are treated properly. But lets always remember that it is still a piece of nature and anything can happen. 
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.