Author Topic: Hickory Stave  (Read 1457 times)

Offline BrokenArrow

Hickory Stave
« on: January 21, 2015, 03:32:00 pm »
I have a hickory stave with the bark on and its moisture is about 20%.
Should I take off the bark now or when moisture is about 5-8%?
Thanks

Offline Hrothgar

Re: Hickory Stave
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 04:43:16 pm »
I usually try to split my staves the same day I cut the tree, then seal ends good. I leave the bark on for a couple months to let it dry out slowly and 'naturally'. After a couple months I de-bark and usually apply a couple coats of paint. 

When was the wood cut? and you're leaving it outdoors to dry, right? (bringing a stave inside in the winter, even if its partially dried can bring unexpected and unwanted changes due to the warm dry furnace air).

JMO-- others have other methods
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 05:06:50 pm »
I fell a hickory tree recently and out of laziness, left the bark on and sat it on a couple of saw horses outside to "dry." Now it's all moldy and green. Boards are SO much less hassle...
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline Drewster

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 06:55:32 pm »
BrokenArrow, at 20% MC you could certainly remove the bark.  It'll help speed up the drying at this stage too.  I don't know where you've been storing it but to be on the safe side, I would go ahead and coat the back with glue or shellac.....just for insurance........especially if you're going to move the stave into a heated space.  It won't take long or cost much and would be worth a few minutes of your time. 
Drew - Boone, NC