Author Topic: Bow Wood ?  (Read 2436 times)

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

Bow Wood ?
« on: January 20, 2015, 06:16:18 pm »
Does percimon make a good self bow? I have located some good long 10" through tree and an get 3 logs out of before the first limb. But don't want to cut it unless for sure it's good bow material

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
Re: Bow Wood ?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 06:22:22 pm »
Persimmon will make a bow. I have never made one from it but have seen them.  You just need to know that persimmon has a very high rate of shrinkage.  So seal it well and secure it. Im sure some one will chime in on dimensions.  Persimmon is in the ebony family.  So its very hard.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 08:20:55 pm »
Very good bow wood.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 08:26:16 pm »
Gut,
Treat it like any white wood.  If I were you and could wait until spring, I'd cut it when the leaves start to come out.  That way the bark would slip right off and that's the back of your bow. No ring chasing.
Good luck
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline JonW

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 10:38:40 pm »
Used it several times. It can have a lot of twist when split that doesn't show in the bark. You won't know till you do it.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 11:30:28 pm »
Dang that's a big persimmon!  I never see any that big around here.  If it gives off fruit I'd say leave it.  In my opinion the fruit would be worth way more when there are is plenty of other good wood out there.  Also consider, how much wood that is.  That's like an all day task cutting, splitting, and hauling a tree that size.  And like someone else said cut when it warms and the juices start flowing a little bit in the tree so you can get that bark off nice and easy.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!