Author Topic: Sapling bow ?  (Read 3509 times)

Offline Jax666

Sapling bow ?
« on: January 19, 2015, 07:43:22 am »
I have to cut some brush out of my fence row and spotted a maple limb that might make a sapling bow. It appears a little over 2" in the mid section. I would like to get it started drying if it is long enough when cut. Do I have to split it or can I just rough it out prior to drying. One guy said to put block of wood under the tips. Would that make the reflex the wrong direction? I have a nice piece of osage to work on, but thought the sapling might be fun to whittle once it is dry. Not expecting much.
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Sapling bow ?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 08:33:11 am »
Jerry, it will depends on the type of maple it is.   For a 2" diameter pole I'd figure out which side is the back and reduce the belly side of both limbs, leaving the handle round.  You can clamp it down with the blocks under the belly side of the tips to induce reflex.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 09:32:53 am »
If they're limbs it would be a limbo. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Jax666

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 07:04:53 am »
If they're limbs it would be a limbo. :) Jawge
Jawge, that would be perfect for me I have been in limbo for years.

Offline Jax666

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 07:11:08 am »
Jerry, it will depends on the type of maple it is.   For a 2" diameter pole I'd figure out which side is the back and reduce the belly side of both limbs, leaving the handle round.  You can clamp it down with the blocks under the belly side of the tips to induce reflex.
Pat, I am not sure of the type of maple. That is what I thought about the reflex. I read that build a sapling bow is good practice for building a sapling bow and building a board bow is good practice to build a board bow, but I would still rather screw a piece fire wood than my nice stave.
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 09:17:02 am »
Give it a try. It will have a high crown so be sure the belly is flat. Make the bow as long as possible and practical.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bambam

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 09:54:07 am »
Go back to my thread of Jan 8---good way to straighten sapling staves. This is simple and works.
He was honest for a politician, meaning he would not steal a red hot stove.   Mark Twain

Offline Josh B

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 10:56:27 am »
I concur with Pat on reducing it down and leaving the handle round.  The only thing I would add to that is seal the back and all the way around the round handle section including the fades.  If you don't seal up the part left round it will check to the center in a few days.  Josh

Offline Jax666

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 08:15:11 am »
Seal the back, tips, handle, and fades? The good news is if I ruin a piece of fire wood it still burns. If I ruin that nice osage I would cry.

Offline Jax666

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 08:20:03 am »
Go back to my thread of Jan 8---good way to straighten sapling staves. This is simple and works.
Bambam nails in a 2X4?

Offline Josh B

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 09:05:06 am »
Seal the back, tips, handle, and fades? The good news is if I ruin a piece of fire wood it still burns. If I ruin that nice osage I would cry.

Yes.  I just received an unpleasant reminder two weeks ago of what happens when you fail to seal the handle and fade area.  I cut six saplings, drawknifed the bark off and reduced them with a hatchet only to find out that my little can of polyurethane was no longer in my toolbox.  That was on a Tuesday.   By Friday, when I got home, they had all checked through the handle.  Not small cracks either.  Every one of them split at least a 1/4" wide all the way to the center.  Josh