Author Topic: Finally got my hands on some real wood.  (Read 3937 times)

Offline Julian

Finally got my hands on some real wood.
« on: January 19, 2015, 03:10:34 am »
I just picked up 3 ironbark logs and 1 osage log from a bloke on a local classifieds ad, and I'd love some advice on where and how to proceed. The logs aren't in great condition but I reckon I can get a few bows each out of them.

Here's the Osage, unfortunately it's got a pretty large crack down the side. I hope it's still usable because that stuff is pretty rare around here.

Here's a closer pic of the split. Should I split the log along this line and hope for the best? I've never handled a log or a stave so any advice is welcome, thanks.

EDIT: Here's a pic of the ironbark logs as well, bad light but you can see them. There's one nice long one and two medium sized.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 03:15:54 am by Julian »

Offline Julian

Re: Finally got my hands on some real wood.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 06:19:11 am »
Maybe I started this thread at an inopportune time.

Anyway I split some of the logs ofter looking into how to do it, and I got four short staves out of the Osage. After my recent failure with a spliced bow from billets I'm leaning towards just making shortbows. Does Osage lend itself to that design at all? I could maybe try the takedown sleeve method on the two larger staves though.

Here are the two smaller staves, that seemed to be the way that the log wanted to split and I couldn't get them an even size.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 07:38:45 am »
Osage lends itself to any and all designs.  ;)

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 07:40:57 am »
Looks like there are bows in there for sure.  How long are the Osage staves?  I would de-bark and seal the backs and ends, even though it looks to be seasoned.  Do you know when it was cut?  A pic of the growth rings is also recommended, just for eye candy for the rest of us.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 03:52:24 pm »
exactly how short is the stave,, more info please,,

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 05:21:56 pm »
And please, what is "ironbark." Do you mean ironwood? Where be ye?

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Julian

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 05:56:50 pm »
Hi everyone. The osage is 50" long, which is much shorter than anything I've worked with before. Asharrow, Ironbark is a native eucalypt here in Australia and especially around my area. Gsulfridge I have no idea when the wood was cut, but to me it seems very dry and most of the ends have checked, some worse than others. I had to jund one of the logs because of vertical cracks in the wood, but the others seem ok.
Someone sealed the ends of the osage log once, so I can't post a pic of the rings. I don't want to lose any more of my precious inches to show you haha. I can say though that the sapwood is quite dark in colour, and the wood is the vibrant yellow colour that I was expecting.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 06:14:23 pm »
you can make a nice bow from 50 inches,,
also if you want a long bow you can slice,,,
also you could add recurves glued and spliced on, for a longer draw

the easiest would be a short flat bow bend in the handle,,,it will handle up to 25 inches of draw,,, you can get good cast and they are fun to shoot,,

Offline Hamish

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 11:35:58 pm »
Oh yeah, now your in business. Your billet splicing skills looked pretty good, I would get some decent glue and glue up a pair of billets of osage. Short bows are nice, but make a full sized one first. Work it down to a single growth ring, don't worry to much if some checks show up as long as they stay inside the width of the bow limbs they will be fine.

Ironbark can be really good, to crap. It seems to be very dependent upon where it was grown. I would go for wider flatter limbs 1.75-2". I have seen a lot of ironbark chrysal, despite having good tiller, with no weak spots, when its made narrow.
Where abouts in Straya are you?
                                                 Hamish.

Offline Julian

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 12:38:46 am »
Hamish I live in Bendigo...... mate.

thanks for the advice everyone. I've decided to splice two billets to make a longbow for myself and use the shorter ones as gifts naybe. who knows we'll see. I'll keep you posted.

Offline Julian

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 11:25:20 pm »
Ok so I'm having trouble removing the bark on my Osage. Any tips? I don't have a draw knife, just rasps and a spokeshave.

Also, should I remove the sapwood and chase a ring or could I leave it on? Never worked with Osage.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 11:46:39 pm »
Find yourself a larger heavy duty steel kitchen knife or a larger hunting knife. You will be able to use it like a draw knife and a scraper. I also use a pocket knife for chasing the ring around a pin knot or in some of the little dips. You should rip off that sap wood and chase a ring. If you have never done that before check out boarrior bows on YouTube. He is a member here on PA. He has some really good videos on Osage and chasing a ring. Good luck and post a lot of pictures. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Julian

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 12:12:40 am »
Thanks Patrick, I'll give that a go and report back. I should buy a nice draw knife now that I'm finally getting into some staves rather than boards.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 01:00:35 am »
No problem bud, a draw knife is great. I sure love mine. But a large knife or a machete works good too. I had the pleasure this weekend to meet one of our members on pa named sleek. Pretty much all he uses is a kabar knife to build kids bows. I even watched him split an Osage stave with 2x4 and his kabar. Good luck and I'll be keeping my eyes on this thread. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Julian

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 04:42:37 am »
Not the best photo but here's the end grain. From what I've seen elsewhere it's not the best growth ring structure either. We'll see what I can make of it. Am I right that those darker rings are the latewood and I want one of those for my back?