Author Topic: Fresh cut osage  (Read 3316 times)

Offline carpholeo

Fresh cut osage
« on: January 18, 2015, 10:22:30 pm »
So i just cut a nice piece of OO down, which isnt easy to do in S Cal. So now do i split and rough out, or grease the ends and wait?

Its the heartwood thats the good stuff on osage right?

Offline Dvshunter

Re: Fresh cut osage
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 10:39:06 pm »
Seal the ends.  Split it and take the bark and white sapwood off and then seal the back. You can work it down to near bow dimensions then and it will dry faster or be patient and just wait it out. Nice log. And it's all good stuff for bows.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline okie64

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 10:39:46 pm »
You'll get lots of different opinions on this so I'll just tell you what I would do. First and foremost seal the ends, split it in half and then let it sit for a year or so. And yes the heartwood is the good stuff if you have enough wood, if not a ring or 2 of sapwood on the back is fine too.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 11:07:44 pm »
Ohh wow what a gorgeous piece of Osage
I like osage

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 11:12:17 pm »
Seal the ends.  Split it and take the bark and white sapwood off and then seal the back. You can work it down to near bow dimensions then and it will dry faster or be patient and just wait it out. Nice log. And it's all good stuff for bows.

I agree with DVS.  The sapwood is easier to remove when its fresh cut.  I usually put several coats of shellac or polyurethane on to seal up the ends and backs.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 11:18:45 pm »
Nice log.  How long is it?

Russ
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline carpholeo

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 03:12:39 am »
Thanks for info, the log is 70" and theres plenty more where that one came from. I think i counted 3 good size trees, but with all the big shoots its hard to tell where one tree stops and another starts.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 07:36:38 am »
I didn't realize osage grew in S. California.

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 10:05:20 am »
From what I have heard, ANYTHING--with the possible exception of Reindeer Lichen-- will grow in Southern California--if it gets a little water.  In the Nineteenth Century, people planted it everywhere.
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline carpholeo

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 11:34:05 am »
Im suprised it hasnt been spiked yet by some Habitat Restoration group

Offline carpholeo

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 10:20:50 pm »
Got it split and roughing out, i love the color of this wood 

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 10:25:26 pm »
Oooh  :o  That's a lot of sapwood  :P   Make sure and seal that baby up good or it will check on you.

Offline carpholeo

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 01:41:27 pm »
They are usually mostly heartwood?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2015, 10:11:46 pm »
On small diameter pieces like that it can vary.  The thicker the sapwood the more work it takes to remove it.  You can also leave a couple of rings of it on the bow if you want.  I've never done that but I've seen others who have.  Makes a nice color contrast on the bow.