Author Topic: Last stand  (Read 6197 times)

Offline Badly Bent

Last stand
« on: January 16, 2015, 08:30:32 am »
Well just 3 more days and our hunting season ends until next fall and in the spirit of never giving up I headed out yesterday for one more hunt. A balmy 30 degrees and on my hour long drive to the area I hunt
deer, turkey, a coyote and even a bald eagle were seen from the truck window on the move. Once at my destination I hiked back into the hardwoods to a ridge top and hung my stand 12' up in an oak tree. With the wind in my face and the sun in my eyes I sat for the afternoon perched above a network of trails with deer tracks everywhere below. So many tracks you would have thought there would be several deer passing by in the course of the day, none did of course.  ;D ;D ;D
Next year!
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Last stand
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 08:32:54 am »
Gorgeous man! Good effort to. Cant kill one at home.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 08:55:35 am »
I recognize that bow

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 08:57:49 am »
You got that right Chris, if you wanna take a deer with a bow the first and most important step is to actually be out there as often as able. Some years I get shots on my first trip out, others it may be the 15th day in the stand before a shot is offered. If I'm able to get out often I will get shots, and deer,... most years that is.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 09:43:53 am »
Yes sir Paul thats a serious hunting weapon there. Just ask Dan-o, he dropped one with a paulsemp made osage bow this year. :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 10:23:03 am »
Beautiful pictures, good effort. Our closed a couple of weeks ago, lots of fun but tough year
for deer at least for me it was. Now we can look forward to next year. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 12:30:31 pm »
Yesterday was our last day. I took my 9 year old son who was excited to go. I told him we are walking barefoot if he wants to go. He kicked off his boots and said lets go. It was about 30 degrees outside but never once did he complainof cold. He walked close and I told him to step just after I do, that way we sound like a deer walking insead of a person.  Im taking him with me every time next year. He was super queit and happy to be there. Looking forward to being out in the wood next year with my buddy :)
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 07:23:32 pm »
Beautiful setting Greg,  Sorry about no deer.  :(

But Sleek.....barefoot @ 30 deg.??  :o
Bill
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 08:07:35 pm »
We had sox. Plus, if you concentrate hard you can warm your body temp up to whatever body part you want too. I can make my hands sweat in the cold or my entire body. My son, I am teaching to do it.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline chamookman

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 04:11:02 am »
Cool looking spot Greg ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 07:23:13 am »
That's a pretty spot Greg.  I admire you guys hunting up there in all that snow!  Looks cold to me...  It's always sad to see the season end. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 08:35:37 am »
Thats great that you took your boy out and exposed him to hunting Sleek, sounds like you'll have a favorite hunting partner for years now. When each of my 4 daughters reached around 10 years old they wanted to go out once or twice with me. I'd take one for a weekend in Oct. and we'd camp, she'd tote a bow and we'd hike out in the morning at dark and sit on the ground along a trail but most of the day was just spent exploring the forest as none of them had the patience for deer hunting, great memories. My youngest who is now 21 still talks about how delicious the soup was at camp with the wild onions she picked out in the woods. :)

Offline RyanR

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2015, 10:41:47 am »
Nice pictures Greg. It is tough hunting during late season. With the cold temperatures, educated deer and lower deer numbers than early season make it a real challenge. An hour long drive? I guess I am pretty fortunate. Well now comes the long wait until opening day 2015.

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 08:48:35 pm »
I only missed 7 days of hunting season this year, I almost went nutty on so little sleep but it paid off. what I lack in knowledge and skill I try to make up for in determination and perserverence. 3 deer so far are in the freezer and I am helping a first time hunter get on the deer. I wont say no to another though  :D
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline PNewton

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2015, 07:15:19 am »
Great pictures Greg. Looks like a nice spot to spend the day.