Author Topic: ash ideas  (Read 3715 times)

Offline jayman448

ash ideas
« on: January 11, 2015, 08:32:05 pm »
so i have a half log of ash im impatiently waiting on. i think ive devided ill rough it out and clamp it down to speed up the process. so i have two questions. one is what is the general consensus for the "perfect" style of bow for ash (specs). also i will need to straighten one limb (the one end wavers off center by about three inches. should i rough it out, heat bend, and then clamp dry or clamp dry then heat bend ? ive got plenty of length (six foot) please help a noob :)

Offline Hrothgar

Re: ash ideas
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 08:57:02 pm »
Ash has been used in everything from elbs to 48" American flat bows. A picture of the stave would be benefical. Is the 3" variance running with a straight grain or does it twist?
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline jayman448

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 05:03:02 am »
i twist so minor it would make no difference. i shall post a picture. im sure it has been, im just asking:  for the properties and weight of ash, what bow works best. pyramid? bend handle, D, molly? basically straight flatbow? (ive taken bowiers bible too much to heart perhaps XD)

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 08:45:34 am »
Jayman,
     You dont say which type of ash that you have, and there is a wide variance between the 5 common species. (Black, Blue,Green, Oregon, and white). If you are using white then the SG @ 12% is .60, with green just behind @ .56 and oregon @ .55........the black ash is .49

I have made wide flat bows, square section bows and Mollegabets from white ash. A side note would be that black ash is my favorite arrow wood. I believe that you could make most any type of bow from white ash as long as you tiller properly and carefully. Just one guys opinion though.
rich

Offline jayman448

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 09:10:28 pm »
um... im a noob... i really dont know... im in the rockies so id say mountain ash.... ill send a pick bark is still on so i hope that helps.. i have such a hard time identiying trees.... lol

Offline jayman448

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 02:34:49 am »
so pic one is to show the bend to the left. pic two is of the bark just hoping for an identification. third and forth is for showing the grain and the humps and bups on the back. there are quite a few growths that look like knots but i debarked the other side and the came out very minor. in fact i think its just a fungus

Offline jayman448

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 03:55:02 am »
so ladies and gents, what do you think

Offline jayman448

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 01:43:36 am »
lol. ive been abandoned. anyone wanna give me some help? haha

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 04:15:50 am »
If you do some Google searching for ash bows you will find all sorts of styles done with the wood. 
This is your first bow so don't worry about perfect design or anything, just make an over built bow that shoots arrows. How long is your log? Make it long if you can, 68" or so, and go for a pyramid design. 1 3-4"-2" at the fades to 1" tips. Narrow them after your wood dries a little more. Strap it down really good

Offline Drewster

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 05:26:35 am »
If you need to straighten that crook in the limb, I would steam it since your wood is still fairly green.  Typically, steam for green wood, dry heat for dry wood.   You'll need to over bend it slightly so when you release the clamp it will spring back straight.  Good luck and have fun.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline bushboy

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 09:12:16 am »
Few things to factors to consider,your draw lenght, and weight your after? I would go for a wide flat design personally. Once you start shaping it you'll know better what you have to work with.looks to have a high crown so this will also determine your width so you don't end up with a knifes egde.i would go for at least 1/2" thick on the sides, 2-1/4" wide at the fade s,gradual taper to the outer 1/3 down to wide tips and try to use the dog leg as the back.leave the handle area 2" thick for now. Good luck!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 09:19:33 am »
With the higher crown and knots I'd make it a mid 60 inches long bend in the handle bow or longer