Author Topic: Red Elm Sapwood ?'s  (Read 2235 times)

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
Red Elm Sapwood ?'s
« on: January 11, 2015, 01:25:11 pm »
Heh guys, I just wanted to ask if you need to thin Red Elm sapwood to make bows like you sometimes have to do with yew or can I just leave it? I'm posting a picture of the end of the stave I have so you guys can get a look of the amount of sapwood to heartwood. The sapwood is about 3/8" thick on both ends and its thickness is the same throughout its length. Your replies are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Aaron

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Red Elm Sapwood ?'s
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 02:04:35 pm »
Ive only made 1 red elm bow, and I chased a heart wood ring for my back.
Ive seen sapwood backed bows too, but it seemed a little too soft to me.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 03:04:01 pm »
I would use the wood right under the bark for the bows back. That's all I've used and it makes great bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 04:53:43 pm »
  Elm sapwood is as tough as the rest of the wood in tension, but it isn't as HARD as the heartwood in compression.  I never chase a ring on it, let the belly fall where it lies, and heat treat it.

On small diameter red elms, I often even find the very middle to be very vascular, almost punky, so lay out bows to be thin enoughn to avoid it.

I would be interested to know what specie you have there.  It's quite pretty, but less dark in the heartwood than I am used to on a slippery elm, and the sapwood seems very thick to me for the red elms I am used to, which tend to have thin rings, and only a few of them, before I hit heartwood.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 05:00:08 pm »
Look at my post on the "Archives" thread, 60" elm static recurve. I go through the whole process from a 60", half round elm stave to the finished static recurve.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC