Author Topic: How to heat bend handle section?  (Read 4727 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Re: How to heat bend handle section?
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2015, 09:25:43 pm »
Not too bad, may need a little adjustment. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline steve b.

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2015, 12:18:05 am »
yes, otherwise it will be difficult to pull without it rolling in the bow hand.  Its a good candidate for a little movement so the string lines up better along that lower limb.

Offline Thunder

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2015, 12:26:04 am »
I'd try to get the string centered with the bottom limb a little more, you'll still be close to center shot.
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born...and the day you find out why."  Mark Twain

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2015, 01:27:22 am »
Looks good and you won't have to bring it over that far. Here's one I finished up last August  for a little 5 yr old. She's Hailey's bow, a present from her Granma Jackie.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2015, 01:42:55 am »
moving the tips over maybe a little easier than messing with that natural kink. every time I've ever left it like that the string always nails my arm

Offline GB

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2015, 03:26:30 am »
Last summer I made one from a stave that had a natural kink in the center, 'tho not as much as yours.  I absolutely love the way it shoots having the arrow closer to center and it doesn't twist in my hand at all.

Hailey's bow looks very cool, Fred.
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

blackhawk

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2015, 08:47:10 am »
Wait a minute....has it been up to at least a 4" brace? Maybe its an illusion I'm seeing but it barely looks braced if not at all. If that's the case he won't know till the limbs are bent slaved to the string. Plus the string at the bottom is over to the offending side and he also has room to move the string over a smidgen by just removing some wood on one side at the nocks. Get the brace up higher and remove wood at the nocks first before deciding you have to make a heat correction. Maybe you do,and maybe ya don't. It'll be close.