Author Topic: How to heat bend handle section?  (Read 4728 times)

Offline Vgo750

How to heat bend handle section?
« on: January 10, 2015, 05:03:45 pm »
I have this osage stave.  The tips really are pretty close to aligned but the handle sweeps out of alignment.  How would i bring the handle area in line?  Should i steam the handle area and then clamp it down while the tips are clamped down against a flat surface?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How to heat bend handle section?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 05:09:03 pm »
I'd build it just like it is. No need to straighten it out. Once you get to first brace and see how the string tracks you may have to adjust t then.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 05:13:34 pm »
You should move your handle area so that the deepest part of the dip becomes the arrow pass.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 05:15:38 pm »
Prefect stave for a center shot, lucky you!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Vgo750

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 05:26:51 pm »
Wow  really!? Well thats great news because i have the belly split off this stave that does the exact same thing!

Offline steve b.

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 05:34:51 pm »
If you do move it, yes, narrow it as much as possible, steam it, but don't use the tips so much as mid limb or closer to the handle with your fulcrum with a healthy clamp on the handle.  You can also hang weight off the limb to pull on the handle.  Many times I have simply hand bent it around a pole or whatever and just lean against it for about 5 minutes or so.  Just depends on the wood, how much movement you need, how much lean-time you can handle.

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 05:42:39 pm »
    Pretty common that I need to bend a handle section to line up tips. A little movement in the handle moves the tips a lot. I usually just put some clamps outside the handle area after I have narrowed it and heat it up slowly pulling it in with the clamps. I heat both sides.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 08:53:07 pm »
If it were me I'd do as above stated and make deep bend the arrow pass.  Stretch astring from tip to tip and only mine the handle enough to bring the string close to the curve accounting for arrow thickness and you will have a center shot bow with out carving an ugly shelf!  You lucky dog!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 10:38:55 pm »
I like the idea of getting it strung before you bend it,, and making the arrow pass at the dip,,, then see what needs to be done,,

Offline Gordon

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 01:28:54 am »
Here's a pic of the setup I use for bending the handle in order to align the tips.

Gordon

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 03:24:35 am »
 Vgo750,
              I was holding a straight edge on my screen and that bow looks to be center shot and maybe beyond. Being a finger shooter I am not a fan of center shot bows, that's me, some may like them. I would do as already stated and get it braced if your tree will allow.  You can always make a handle adjustment later...
                                                                                                                               Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Vgo750

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 09:21:45 am »
Yall are great!  Thanks for all the suggestions.  I will adjust the layout to make centershot and just get to reducing the thickness...i think my tree will allow for the sweep. 

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 12:15:04 pm »
  Yep, I'm with these guys.  You need to do this thoughtfully, of course, but if I put a snake bend like this where the "pressure point" of the handle area is (basically where the base of my thumb goes ) and can line that up with the tips, 1....2....3, I leave it.

Offline Thunder

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 01:12:22 pm »
That's a nice looking stave...if it lines up, I'd leave it as is...but thats just me. 8)
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born...and the day you find out why."  Mark Twain

Offline Vgo750

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2015, 09:03:10 pm »
Here is where my string is lining up.  Do yall think i need to move it over a smidge?