Author Topic: positive tiller... How to?  (Read 11945 times)

Offline arachnid

positive tiller... How to?
« on: January 10, 2015, 12:12:01 pm »
Hi Guys.

When tillering a symetricl bow, how do I know how much stiffer the bottom limb should be?
I've read that it needs to be slightly stiffer but how much is slightly? How do I mesure such a thing?

And, is there a difference between a straight limb bow and a reflex/deflex desigh (like a 3 pc takedown)?

I'll be graetfull for any info on the subject.

Thanks

Dor
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 12:41:56 pm by arachnid »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: positive tiller... How to?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 01:01:19 pm »
I never measure for positive tiller. On most selfbows you can only measure accurately at full draw, IMO. I just look at it and see if the bottom limb is slightly stiffer.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 01:05:44 pm »
+1 Pat, most of mine are apparent at brace but those oddballs absolutely necessitate measuring/looking at full draw.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline arachnid

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 01:06:27 pm »
How much is "slightly"?
How do I eyeball it? Does it need to bend evenly but less the upper? (Meaning the tip is a bit higher, when looking on the bow on the tillering tree)?

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 01:08:29 pm »
The gap between mid-limb and string should be just sliiiiiiiiiiiightly greater in the upper limb (take any character into account!)
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 02:35:38 pm »
I measure the greatest gap between belly and string  on each limb at brace.    Ideally, that place should be the same distance from center on each limb but I find it varies a little here and there.   I shoot for 1/8 positive tiller but seldom get it.  1/4 ish.  How does is shoot is a much better guide than some quirky measurement, though,  IMO.   Just use  measurement as a guide. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 03:25:29 pm »
We are not talking about rocket science or brain surgery here. It is "primitive" archery. Slightly is a little less than too much but not as much as not enough.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bushboy

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 03:38:35 pm »
Easy to do with a lam or board bow with straight tips.hold the back against a door frame and measure from frame to tip.rotate 180 and measure again. Oddly enough the set will also equal the pos tiller when unbraced if it's balanced.hard to do with recurve because they are rarely identical and will pull out a bit when worked.same for staves from. What I've seen so far.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 04:55:11 pm »
1/4" is fine. Have someone snap a digi pic or check in a mirror. A window at night works too. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 09:47:15 pm »
We are not talking about rocket science or brain surgery here. It is "primitive" archery. Slightly is a little less than too much but not as much as not enough.  ;)

I about spit out my drink, great answer Pat
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 12:48:38 pm »
Arachnid, unfortunately "slightly " is the right answer.  I'm sure every individual bow has a sweet spot, but it's going to vary with the archer and his grip, and the style of bow.  A shorty might look and feel very lopsided with 1/4" difference, while a long, long, longbow might want more.

Look at the Yumi design, and look at the archers hand. You can get away with a lot, obviously,  if you shoot it right.

What I keep in mind primarily is the strain on the wood.  If the lower limb is a tad shorter, it will act stiffer. I want to strain it that tiny bit less then, so that it doesn't take MORE set than the top limb.

Offline arachnid

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 04:02:57 pm »
I guess thats where the "art" comes in to play... knowing that sweet spot.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 04:46:00 pm »
Yeah, and I don't always find it, but that is why people go with rules of thumb.

How about this.   Imagine you had a bow that bent perfectly symetrically, with the hand's pressure point exactly in the middle, and the drawing hand directly behind that.  Now, the arrow has to pass above the hand, so it is an inch, plus, above the middle point.  This brings the string hand up a bit, too, so now the pressure points on handle and string don't line up, and the lower limb acts slightly weaker (string applies more leverage).

So, if you cut just enough off the lower limb to make the STRING even again, narrow and re-nock the lower tip, you'll be in the neighborhood.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 09:37:37 pm »
I guess I've never paid too much attention to measuring it. I try and make the bottom limb the slightly stiffer limb. I usually set out with the intention that a particular limb will be top and one bottom, but it does'nt always work out that way for one reason or another and I have to shift gears and swap top and bottom.
Thats also one of the reasons why I don't like cut in shelves. If I find the need for a shelf for someone to shoot off of I glue one on with built up leather. I have also found that if the bottom limb starts out stiffer, after its shot in pretty well it tends to balance out due to the fact there is more strain on the bottom limb. Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 10:54:37 pm »
I try to make the bottom limb slightly stiffer,, just enough so I can see it at full draw,,
if the arrow is not flying right or the arrow is hitting my hand a bit,, I will make it stiffer until the bow shoots smooth,, that being said,, it the bow is shooting very smooth with good arrow flight,, I figure the tiller is good and I dont look at it any more :)