Author Topic: New?? way to re-enforce tips  (Read 10677 times)

Offline PatM

Re: New?? way to re-enforce tips
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2015, 11:21:21 am »
Thanks guys. I always thought the technique would also make for an interesting pattern for a camo backing. 
 I was inspired by the back of a "Tiger trout" for that pattern.

Offline bambam

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2015, 11:33:48 am »
You should definitely  make a bow with that backing and post it even if the purists object.
He was honest for a politician, meaning he would not steal a red hot stove.   Mark Twain

Offline scp

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2015, 11:49:38 am »
IMHO there are many ways to go primitive. One can use primitive (all natural) materials. Then we would not be allowed to use epoxy, modern glues and modern strings. But one can use primitive process (hand made) against modern process (machine made). I'm more inclined to be the latter. From now on, let's just draw pictures of our bows instead taking picture of them with digital cameras. ;) Just kidding. But actually drawing can be more instructive than photos.

Stringman

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2015, 04:26:43 pm »
Call the dogs off guys, I wasn't trying to start a war. Just wanted someone to point out the difference.

Pat your workmanship on that frame is beautiful!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2015, 04:29:39 pm »
WOW, Pat!!  That's some kinda frame!  What is its weight?  Certainly woulda been a conversation piece in the peloton.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bambam

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2015, 07:27:34 pm »
There was a thread about 6 months ago from someone who made his own stone tools to harvest the sapling and used them to make the bow. After making a primitive material string, arrows and points he shot a varmint for the leather goods. As the Aussies would say, good on ya mate. Most of us would not go that far to get points for being primitive and use good steel, Tightbond III etc. Pat ya gotta show us a bow with that backing !!!
He was honest for a politician, meaning he would not steal a red hot stove.   Mark Twain

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2015, 01:50:32 am »
PatM thats awesome. I want to see some flintstone rock wheels on that!

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2015, 09:40:38 am »
Wow man, that bike frame is friggin awesome!

What do you use for spokes? Rivercane? :^)
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline bubby

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2015, 10:16:33 am »
There was a thread about 6 months ago from someone who made his own stone tools to harvest the sapling and used them to make the bow. After making a primitive material string, arrows and points he shot a varmint for the leather goods. As the Aussies would say, good on ya mate. Most of us would not go that far to get points for being primitive and use good steel, Tightbond III etc. Pat ya gotta show us a bow with that backing !!!
What is the difference between this and fiber *****?
The thing is there has to be a line in the sand where we make a stand with natural material bows , a more natural phenolic would be horn or hoof
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

mikekeswick

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2015, 10:20:33 am »
 8)
Pat - That's way too cool.....do you do mountain bikes?
Interesting idea for the tips but I'd say a normal overlay would be better (lighter for same extra strength). Just make some flat pieces then glue them on.

Offline PatM

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2015, 10:27:17 am »
What is the difference between this and fiber *****?
The thing is there has to be a line in the sand where we make a stand with natural material bows , a more natural phenolic would be horn or hoof

People glue linen backings on natural material bows  so what's the difference between a linen backing and a wad of linen  on the bow tip?

Offline bubby

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2015, 11:17:01 am »
Whatever pat I'm not getting in a pissing match with you, i just said there was a natural alternative
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2015, 11:33:08 am »
Pat makes bamboo bike frames?  That is truly astounding.

Offline PatM

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2015, 11:37:24 am »
Whatever pat I'm not getting in a pissing match with you, i just said there was a natural alternative
Is linen not natural?  >:D

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2015, 11:40:51 am »
But one can use primitive process (hand made) against modern process (machine made). I'm more inclined to be the latter. From now on, let's just draw pictures of our bows instead taking picture of them with digital cameras.

I'm with you. I often use superglue where I could use hide glue, just because I freely admit I don't want to mess with hide glue, and wait for it to dry.... I want to get on with making the bow!  ;)

Also, BTW, everybody remembers the old kniife handles with the stacked leather soaked in glue, right?  So, similarly, rawhide could be soaked in hideglue and wrapped and/or stacked in layers and pressed to reinforce tips or something.