Author Topic: Info from My MI. friends ??  (Read 8208 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Info from My MI. friends ??
« on: January 09, 2015, 05:18:05 am »
Meet a guy yesterday that just started a business in Clarksville, Called Twin Oaks Technology  ;) :) anyway got to talking to him about what he does and what we do at TwinOaks and he said he had a Grand father in Midland,MI. that ran an archery shop for years, he is gone now and the shop closed but wondered if anyone knows where Midland is or have ever heard of this shop. It was called Erno's Archery ,didn't get the Grand Father's name but the Grand son is Todd Little, any info would be appreciated ,just curious and thought if I could get some info I could pass it along to the grandson. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

Re: Info from My MI. friends ??
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 09:39:51 am »
When I lived in mt pleasant (20-30 mins away) I went to midland sometimes,but don't remember that shop. Midland is about 40 mins northeast of elm hall. Did ya ask rocky,kevin ,and the boys up there? One of them might know. Or one of the ole timer locals up there at the shoot might know,but its a ways off from august. Did ya ask Gary? He might know,but its a little further away from him. Maybe Pearly can help a lil more than my useless jargon. Lol

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 10:00:14 am »
No haven't went that far yet, just talked to Todd yesterday and since I know the smartest folks  in the world hang out here this is where I thought I would start. ;) ;D ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

JacksonCash

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 02:10:36 pm »
I live in Bay City, which is just a few miles from Midland. I haven't been here for very long, but I'm willing to do some digging and investigating if needed.

JacksonCash

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 05:42:23 pm »
I was able to find this, the middle column starts talking about Erno's
http://arrowtrademagazine.com/articles/may_11/May2011-DealerProfile,MJCARchery.pdf
I think the link is ok to post, but if not a mod can remove it

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 09:40:28 pm »
Well from the article, the owner has something in common with you, Pappy, he booked his Gator Hunt with a guide out of Lakeland, Florida. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline chamookman

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 04:55:17 am »
Midland is about 45 minutes NW of Me. Back in the day when I worked in the Archery industry, the company I worked for used to ship product to Ernos, I remember hearing the name. I'll do a bit of digging and see what I can find out - Wirwicki might remember too. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline RyanR

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 08:28:35 am »
That's a couple hours east of me I think but, Pearly might be close to it

Offline chamookman

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 05:03:59 am »
Struck out Pappy, the two People that would have known have passed away now. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

JacksonCash

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 07:06:40 am »
I talked to an older guy at work today, he remembers the place a bit. Said last time he was in there was probably in the 80s. There was a big bear that Harold Erno shot with a bow. Not sure on the type of bear or the bow. From what I gathered so far, it seems like the place was a big hit, but didn't survive after Harold passed for too long.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 07:16:24 am »
Thanks Guys, That is kind of what I thought, lots of good archery shops have come and gone over the years, kind of sad but that is the way things seem to go in every business now day, bigger/supposedly better and cheaper. :( :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline dragvw2180

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 10:37:42 am »
No one else may see this but I have some information for you. Talk about reviving some very fond memories. I know some of the history you are seeking. When I was about 13 years old my grandfather took my cousin and I to Ernos archery shop . The shop was located between Bay City and Midland on Midland rd at Ernos house . We wanted to hunt with bows instead of the spears we were using . We walked into Ernos shop and EVERY wall was covered like wall paper with Ernos competition papers. It would probably have been Mikes Grand or possibly Great grandfathers shop . Erno used to compete in tournaments , was friends with Fred Bear also.  Erno fitted me up with my first bow, a 28lb green re curved fiberglass Bear bow and my cousin got a blue fiberglass Action bow. We became admirers of Erno, he was a really great gentleman who loved it when we came in to buy arrows from him which he made in the back room. I remember sitting and watching him make arrows , was fascinating to us. He laughed when we came in asking us what we did with the last arrows he had made, we told him we were fishing with our bows, he liked that . I miss that old man , he inspired and motivated us to become bow hunters. Tell Mike he has a pedigree in archery history with his grandfather. I do not know if Bear Bow Company still has their museum in Grayling or not but if they do Mike may be see pics of Erno hunting/competing with Fred. Mike McCarthy  p.s. I am 64 years old now so my visits were over 50 years ago.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 11:30:37 am »
No one else may see this but I have some information for you. Talk about reviving some very fond memories. I know some of the history you are seeking. When I was about 13 years old my grandfather took my cousin and I to Ernos archery shop . The shop was located between Bay City and Midland on Midland rd at Ernos house . We wanted to hunt with bows instead of the spears we were using . We walked into Ernos shop and EVERY wall was covered like wall paper with Ernos competition papers. It would probably have been Mikes Grand or possibly Great grandfathers shop . Erno used to compete in tournaments , was friends with Fred Bear also.  Erno fitted me up with my first bow, a 28lb green re curved fiberglass Bear bow and my cousin got a blue fiberglass Action bow. We became admirers of Erno, he was a really great gentleman who loved it when we came in to buy arrows from him which he made in the back room. I remember sitting and watching him make arrows , was fascinating to us. He laughed when we came in asking us what we did with the last arrows he had made, we told him we were fishing with our bows, he liked that . I miss that old man , he inspired and motivated us to become bow hunters. Tell Mike he has a pedigree in archery history with his grandfather. I do not know if Bear Bow Company still has their museum in Grayling or not but if they do Mike may be see pics of Erno hunting/competing with Fred. Mike McCarthy  p.s. I am 64 years old now so my visits were over 50 years ago.
This is quite interesting because it seems like I am telling this story about one of my mentors.
Edward Chervanak from Hackettstown New Jersey. I'm 70 and Ed died not to long ago at age 94
Ed sold me my first Bear bow a camo Grizzly 1962 if I recall correctly. He was the 1956 NJ state champ
and has been by and large forgotten over the years.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 03:31:39 am »
Thanks for the info Mike - Bob.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 05:56:32 am »
thanks for the info, haven't talked to him in a while, not sure what happened to him. ;) Seems I meet lots of folks that come and go. ???

Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good