Author Topic: Hickory for tightwads  (Read 8097 times)

Offline Lost Arra

Hickory for tightwads
« on: January 18, 2008, 12:35:00 pm »
Last spring I visited a friend in NC to do some crappie fishing. Driving down the road by Lexington we passed a saw mill so I did what everyone here would have done, immediate U-turn and inquired about hickory lumber. We were less than an hour from Hickory, NC so I figured my chances were good.

The manager looked at me like I was from Mars when I asked if they had hickory lumber and he took me to four 25' stacks of hickory lumber and asked "how much you want?" When I said one board ought to do it since I had to get it on a plane home he scratched his head because he wasn't even sure how to price one board. I picked one with some straight grain. He charged me $3 and even cut it so I could get it in my pvc fishing rod case.

Keeping with my low-cost plan I split the board so I could hopefully get two bows from it. Here is the first.

64" ntn  50#@28
I heated and flipped the limb tips but most of it pulled out during tillering.
There was a small knot that had me a little concerned so I made a hide glue/sinew patch and then wrapped with the same.
Not one to throw anything away I used some scrap osage for overlays.
My only regret is that I didn't get this finished earlier. I wanted to try and get a deer with it. I love my osage bows for hunting but board bows seem to get the back seat as hunting weapons.
Maybe I'll get a hog with it this spring.

Any criticism welcome. I'm not only cheap but thick-skinned.

Offline Sidewinder

Re: Hickory for tightwads
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 12:41:25 pm »
I like it. Your my kind of guy. I love the way you seized the moment. The Osage overlays look great too. It looks to me like the limbs are parallel for 2/3 of the limb and then taper to the tips is that correct? The handle I take it is all one piece with the bow and not glued on? What is the belly thickness?  Danny 
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Lost Arra

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 12:54:15 pm »
Yes. Parallel limb width for about 2/3 their length.

The board wasn't thick enough for a handle that I like and I didn't want to build it up with leather so I did glue a handle before I started any wood removal.

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 01:07:19 pm »
Lost Arra, that is a real beauty! The tiller, the braced profile and everything about that bow looks great, it's just an all around great looking bow. By the way, I work in Hickory NC! Where did you go fishing?

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 01:26:40 pm »
Really a nice hickory bow. Thanks for taking some decent pictures.  The handle grain looks gorgeous!
Got you bookmarked for Jan Self Bow of the Month, too.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 01:30:04 pm »
Cheap and beautiful what a great combination ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Dano

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 01:36:56 pm »
Simply gorgeous Bob, I like everything about the bow, but now that hat is a different subject ::) >:D
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 01:44:28 pm »
Very nice work.  Look out hogs.

On your second bow, I would suggest starting your width taper at midlimb or even a bit sooner.  I think you'll find you get better performance.  I've made hickory bows exactly as yours is designed, and whenI went to an earlier taper I got better results.  Its also easier to get the midlimb bending well, since you are getting some help from the width taper and don't have to do it all with thickness.

Sawmills often have stacks of waste wood that includes cutting the bark off the log.  Sometimes these are thick enough to use for staves, especially if you don't mind gluing on a handle.  You just have to get them fresh, as white woods rot pretty fast out in the elements.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

DCM

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 02:23:08 pm »
Nice job.

I think you should look up the ole boy at the sawmill and send him a picture snail mail.  I had to LOL when I read your story.  I had some wood milled (osage, hickory) years ago at Hickory Flat, MS, just up the road from Mom's people's home place (Potts Camp).  Similar deal.  Hickory is generally reserved for stuff like shipping pallets.  Cyprus and oak is about all that is milled commerically.

Offline Lost Arra

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 03:23:47 pm »
Dano: that's my winter bowbuilding cap!  ;D 

The shop is usually cold because the propane heater blows dust all over the place.

Besides it was 20 degrees when I took that photo! :)

Regarding the photos: I did send some back to the sawmill guy.
I hope to see him again in April.

Thanks Lennie. I am going to hasten that limb taper on the second bow from this board.

Woodland: I think it's called High Rock Lake. We caught quite a few fish. Of course, my secret Oklahoma crappie jig caught those Carolina fish by surprise. :D
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 06:43:27 pm by Lost Arra »

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 05:44:49 pm »
My last trip back to Mississippi I stopped by a saw mill and bought 4 fresh milled 4X4X8ft timbers. $4.00 each perfect straight grain all white wood. I plan to go back there every trip from now on, next time I want to buy a truck load. Steve

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 06:19:23 pm »
I work at a hardwood lumber mill and see thousands and thousands of feet of hickory, oak, maple, cherry, etc.  I have NEVER seen a hickory board as pretty as that!  Saw Filer
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 06:27:03 pm »
OK, I got some criticism.  You only got 1 board.  ::) That is just wrong. You need a bigger suitcase so you can fit billet sized boards in it.   ;D
Great looking bow and a fun story.  Oldbow is right, you did a good job on the pictures. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 10:00:09 pm »
Outstanding bow. Great stroy too. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2008, 08:58:23 am »
Seeing these wonderful bows, and the great care involved in them and hearing these cool stories, really inpires me to do better on mine. Im really envious of your skill with would.
knapp 'um if you got 'um