Author Topic: gopher skins and stain...  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Blacktail

gopher skins and stain...
« on: January 03, 2015, 11:28:28 am »
i know some people stain the back of there bows when applying rattle snake skins...has any one stained there bow and used gopher skins...i am wondering if i would lose the pattern of the skin...thanks john...

Offline bubby

Re: gopher skins and stain...
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 01:54:40 pm »
I've done it with rattlers like you said, have you got enough skins to do a small scrap test, i used birchwood cherry under mine and it darkened it a little, but brought alot of color out
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 02:25:56 pm »
I dyed the back of the bow with RIT . Did one red for my dad and did one orange for my trade bow for JW. turned out great. Used what we call milk snakes. They look black but have some translucent scales so the dye under neath really pops and contrasts the black. Could'nt find a good picture of JW's bow but heres one of the back of the one I made my Dad. It was dyed with scarlet RIT dye and it showed through pretty good.

Hope this helps you see what is possible. Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 07:59:27 pm »
thanks for the info..sidewinder,i talked to keenan about it..he was saying the same thing about differant colors...i all ready had it stained black BUT i need to keep other colors in mind..john