Author Topic: Sinew Backing on a Bow  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Chippintuff

Sinew Backing on a Bow
« on: January 02, 2015, 02:27:40 am »
How much sinew does it take to put a good backing on a 66" bow?

WA

mikekeswick

Re: Sinew Backing on a Bow
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 03:57:52 am »
How long is a piece of string?  ;)
Lots of variables here but personally I'd use about 60 - 70 grammes on a wooden bow.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 04:02:31 am »
save the sinew for a shorter bow, where you'll get the maximum benefits from it.
what kind if wood?

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 11:50:00 am »
Thanks. This gives me a ballpark idea.

WA

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 11:57:11 am »
If ur worried about the back use rawhide. I wouldn't ainew n e thing that long. The ainew is there to accommodate the longer draw on a shorter bow. I usually gather way more than I need. So what u think is enough, double it. Better to have too much than not enough
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 12:18:29 pm »
It's not quite so simple as total length of the bow being the only determining factor of whether or not sinew is beneficial.  Length of working limbs in comparison to length of draw is a better consideration to decide if sinew is the way to go.   If the 66" bow has a 12" stiff handle section and the bowyer is looking for 28" of draw or better, then sinew could very well be an asset.  Add in substantial reflex and the sinew backing becomes even more of a viable option.  Too long for sinew is a relative statement.  Other factors must be contemplated to determine whether the sinew will help or just be extra mass.  Josh

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 12:44:29 pm »
i have used about 1400 grains ,that is close to the 70 grams suggested
you will need to whip tiller the bow,, or make a longer non working handle to get the sinew to preform as suggested
or cut the bow shorter :) unless you want to draw the bow to 33 inches :)

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 01:04:57 am »
Sinew won't benefit a long bow it will just add mass not speed. You can argue that statement till the cows come home but I've got 300+ sinew backed bows under my belt and that's a fact!
Any sinew backing should be even and smooth and layered until you cant see gaps in it or the wood underneath. Sinew needs to be laid on like brickwork so you don't have any pieces butting up against each other.
It will take some practice to get it right.
E