Author Topic: anyone have pics of an Iroquois bow and arrow museum quality  (Read 7134 times)

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
anyone have pics of an Iroquois bow and arrow museum quality
« on: December 28, 2014, 10:22:43 pm »
I am trying to find exact specs and close up pictures on a museum quality Iroquois bow and arrow I am working with a local museum in Wisconsin for the Oneida Nation and I am trying to make a replica of an Iroquois bow and arrow but I would like to have a close look at one first I've read a lot about what they look like and what they were made out of but I would just like to see pictures of one and I am finding this hard to obtain I have several books one by Jim Hamm ,,,but none of them have real pictures if anyone has been to a museum and taking pictures or can find me some pictures online please please please post them on this forum thank you
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline PatM

Re: anyone have pics of an Iroquois bow and arrow museum quality
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 12:32:35 am »
Think of how many "Iroquois" bows have been made in history and ask yourself if one example will represent all of them.
 A museum specimen stands a good chance of just being what you are trying to make.

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 08:14:40 am »
Pat M is correct; there is a lot of variation to the bows in the Iroquois Confederacy. I will post a few copies of bows from some of the unified tribes. This first is Seneca. This bow is located at the NMNH.
                                                                                                                                                                                                       Curtis
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 08:26:58 am by tipi stuff »

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 08:37:50 am »
Here is a Tuscarora bow from the same museum. They didn't join the Confederacy until 1722.  Curtis

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 08:49:57 am »
Another Tuscarora from the NMNH.  CC

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 08:59:04 am »
You can also go to the AMNH site at  http://anthro.amnh.org/north and search for "bow" under the drop down box for Iroquois.  CC

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 03:14:27 pm »
thank you so much guys this is exactly what I was wanting and I don't mean necessarily that all the Iroquois made the exact same type of BoW I just mean I cannot find a picture of anything made by an Iroquois ...I would love to see many different styles of bows from many different regions but for some reason I cannot find any sing online I own a few books but they are basically black and white drawingsthank you very much for the pictures and if anyone else could post any more pictures from any other regions that would be incredible!
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 03:15:46 pm »
does anyone have any pictures of arrows as well?

Offline wildman

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 08:55:54 pm »
Half Eye gave me a very useful link, and of course I cannot find it. Maybe he will weigh in on the subject.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 10:25:07 pm »
Not photographs, but of you can find a copy of Jim
Hamm's and Steve Allely's "Encyclopedia of Native American Bows, Arrows, and Quivers" Volume 1, there are several very good drawings of bows and arrows on pp 58-62, including a beautiful scalloped bow.  This first volume is still available, I believe, from Jim himself at Bois d' Arc Press or Amazon.  Volume 2 is scarce as hens' teeth and out of print.

Best regards,

Russ
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 11:19:59 pm »
Sounds like the OP has that book.

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 12:21:25 am »
Duhh.  Looks like I need to read more carefully.
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 12:46:31 pm »
that seneca piece of wood hypnotizes me
I need to obey it and find one of his brothers hidden in my staves  :o

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 01:48:30 pm »
well I regret to inform you guys that the Oneida museum contacted me and said that they're bored of historical Representatives voted and decided to not display any weapons at the museum but I am currently speaking to the Menominee tribe about making and donating a bow to the museum and from what I can find online they had the scalloped edges on their bows for the most part I just finished a few really nice photos one of theMvis a sinew backed ash bow... hopefully I will have some pictures of this up soon I have been getting more into making arrows lately though because that is a whole new art yes I have made good arrows in the past but you make a beautiful perfect fine arrow it is quite hard lol