Author Topic: First sinew job....little gaps?  (Read 9701 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Re: First sinew job....little gaps?
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2014, 12:57:00 pm »
Yew.
heart wood.

Offline PatM

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2014, 01:34:00 pm »
The sinew is just shrinking and pulling the wood apart. Pretty common for yew bellies to do this when sinewed. Osage as well.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2014, 06:37:59 pm »

Pics of one layer of Sinew.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2014, 08:16:15 pm »
Oh no!  I do NOT like the look of that!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2014, 08:27:19 pm »
Dang it!   I was working so slowly and methodically!  What a craptacilar result!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2015, 03:37:44 am »
Yeah, but on the plus side, the crack is longitudinal and right down the middle.
Keep Calm and Carry On !
Sinewing isn't my thing, so I may be talking nonsense, but Yew is tough stuff.
I'm just finishing up a boo backed Yew and noticed a couple of "scratches" except they are some sort of very fine crack, can't feel 'em with a fingernail and CA doesn't even soak in... bow shoots fine... sometimes you just have to press on... it's how we learn.
There is a difference between pressing on knowingly to see what happens and being in denial.
If they were chrysals I'd say you were dead in the water... but they ain't so... who knows.
Good luck
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

mikekeswick

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2015, 04:29:51 am »
As I said before you dried your sinew too fast.
Sinew doesn't just shrink in length it shrinks in thickness and width also. This puts tensile stress on the belly of the bow.
Was the yew 8 - 10% dry before you started?
Use a comb to straight the sinew out when laying it down.
You definitely should have added a few inches of reflex BEFORE glue up then added more once you had the sinew applied and the glue had gelled. Sinew bows with no reflex don't shoot particularly well.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2015, 03:35:48 pm »
So. How to fix these cracks?   So far they seem to be getting worse.  Eventually it will stop. 
I'm going to try clamping and gluing them out.   

What kind of glue.  Knox?   Tb3?

I'm inclined to do the tb3 thn use thin superglue in the tiny ends parts.

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2015, 04:43:06 pm »
Wondering if this might be an instance where you would squirt super thin crazy glue into the crack and hit it with a heat gun?????
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2015, 08:01:05 pm »
I decided on tight bond 3.

The cracks are kinda like laminations and tb3 can be used for that.  I think it was the Knox more than the sinew.  My leftovers were cut into pieces and allowed to dry.   They shrank from the jelly cubes that were cut by almost 75%!

The sizing coat was my problem.  Other hide glues have "stuff" in them preventing such shrinkage I think?

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2015, 11:57:13 am »
So far clamping with TB3 seems to be working. 

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2015, 02:38:18 pm »
I've only sinewed two bows, but I've never had a problem like that. One was juniper and on was osage. The juniper came out nice, light but nice, and my dog ate the osage :0/  what ratio did u use for the glue? I got a bow I'm getting ready to sinew. Then it's gonna sit till I bring it to the classic to get some help not messing it up. Lol.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline bubby

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2015, 03:01:33 pm »
What do you mean other hide gluse have "stuff"  in them, ?
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2015, 03:12:43 pm »
They're all the same. Knox is what most people use from my understanding, I mixed mine until it was a polyurethane consistantcy. The second would have been better. The one I'm planning on now has been awhile in the works. I may try pats wrapping technique. We'll see. Hopefully urs can be helped
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2015, 05:31:06 pm »
I think and this is just my speculation here, that the knox stuff is highly refined and "pure" (hence it's clarity inthe useable form). 

I'm not certain that the consistancy matters that much since it is water and the "stuff".  The water evaporates out but I mixed it to the consistancy of warm syrup.  It coudl be that as teperatures dropped right after I did it the humidiy in my house dropped also.  BUT my basement was cooler so thta should have slowed evaporation and I had no fans or anything like that running.

By "stuff" I mean organic material.  if you grind fish bladders or odd bits of sinew and hide you get that hide glue that is opaque... which is opaque bercasue there are particles that are suspended in the colagen.  These particles may nor may not have the same capacity to shrink as much as the knox...

I could be way off base also.