Author Topic: split out handle build up help please  (Read 4432 times)

Offline sleek

Re: split out handle build up help please
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2014, 10:44:24 pm »
Eric, im probably going to neeed to copy your idea. The elk is so soft in the center I dont see it holding. Pluss I like how the lams look. Thanks guys.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Springbuck

Re: split out handle build up help please
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2014, 10:05:01 am »
Eric, im probably going to neeed to copy your idea. The elk is so soft in the center I dont see it holding. Pluss I like how the lams look. Thanks guys.

Elks are soft in the middle!  ;-)

I was just about to compliment Eric on the quality of that work.  Looks great.  That's funny, because I once did the same thing to an arrow that got dinged, where I sanded out the ding on a 3" drill press drum, then glued in a splint, just bent a flat slip of hemlock (I think) into theat rounded divot, and worked it back round.  Worked amazingly well.

I liked your idea about rope and glue.  You can also make a little rasp by bolting 4-5 hacksaw blades together and sawing that in to square up the gouge.  Then you can glue in a squared splint.  Often, though, I just go ahead and cut the handle area to a rectangle x-section, as small as I dare, and buld it back with wood splints, or veggie-tanned leather, (which I like because I can carve the handle shape then with a knife, and soak it in superglue to harden.)