Author Topic: Reading osage bark  (Read 11315 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Reading osage bark
« on: December 22, 2014, 10:04:16 pm »
We were pulling tree stands today and I found an interesting osage tree.  I grabbed my camera and got some pictures of a few different trees and what their bark pattern is saying about the grain.  These are just my thoughts and observations. 

First is a nice straight barked tree.  The grain in this tree should be nice and straight.  I have put a ladder stand in it for the last several years and taken a few deer.  I doubt it will make it until next season.  The main trunk is starting to split in half.  The split runs straight on both sides of the tree.  That is another indicator that it will be straight grained.  It has gotten worse since September when we put the stand up.  When it falls I'll find a good home for it  ;D

Next is a tree with a bark pattern that makes me think the grain will crisscross and flow in different directions.  I've cut some with bark similar to this and it didn't make good bow wood.  When chasing a ring one layer would be flowing to the right and the next ring down it might be flowing to the left. 

The bark on this tree spirals around it as it goes up.  When split the staves from it would probably have quite a bit of twist to them.

Now the interesting tree.  As we were driving through the yard by my Dad's garage I looked up and saw something that caught my eye.  An unusual bark pattern up high on a tree.  This is making me think that the grain is very snakey.  It will probably zigzag back and forth.  I lived in the apartment above their garage for 10 years and never noticed this tree growing next to it  ::)   For you guys that came out this summer its right next to our elevated deer target shot  ;)

The bottom of the tree has a different pattern to it.  I'm not sure what the grain is doing in that area.  It looks similar to the crisscross bark but not the same.  I'm going to have to figure out a plan to get this thing on the ground and get a better look at it.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Reading osage bark
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 10:20:21 pm »
Fantastic info Clint, never seen a post quite like this, most likely because no one has this many different trees on their place.  shows very well the different patterns, and then you've got second growth....never saw so much osage, I "think" I saw that tree when I was there, it was set back a little if I remember right......my head was spinning on your tour ... Just might take you up on that invite on cutting some sage. :) ;)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 10:23:36 pm »
Snakey #4 looks interesting.  Heck, it all looks interesting!  Funny, that a few pictures from a bunch of trees gets me all geeked up.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 10:27:20 pm »
Bill, just let me know when  ;)

Slimbob, the last three pictures are all the same tree.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 11:40:20 pm »
This is  something that needs a sticky to keep it at the top.  This kind of information can save someone a whale of a load of work!!!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 12:54:42 am »
I wish I had got a picture of some young looking second growth bark and some gnarly slow growing bark.  You can get a good idea of what the growth rings are going to be like on some trees before you cut them.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 01:28:07 am »
Clint, thanks for posting this. It is excellent info for everyone.  Let this run for a few days so everyone has a chance to see it and I'll sticky it for posterity. If you can get more pics it would be great.
 If I lived closer I'd come help you fillet them just to see what's inside.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 01:35:35 am »
Thanks Pat.  I'm not off work again until Christmas Day and I doubt the wife will like it if I'm out in the woods taking pictures of trees.  I'll try to get some more on Friday.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 01:43:58 am »
Do it when you can, Clint. I can always unsticky it so you can post more pics later. Christmas with family is way more important!!!   ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 02:16:55 am »
Cool post, that snaky one looks awesome

Offline chamookman

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 04:40:03 am »
Two Thumbs up Clint ! Yeah - this needs to be a sticky. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 04:50:01 am »
Very nice Clint, good info. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 05:48:57 am »
You are reading the bark on these just right. From my experience of splitting Osage I will take the first one. Even logs like that one may have a little snake in the staves when split. I have tied into a few like the others and you better have had a bowl of Wheaties first. I have never seen grain run in tree's like some Osage. Get a-lot of help.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 08:36:46 am »
You got me slobbering all over this key board
please get a hold of me if you get into any of that wild stuff
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows