Author Topic: Worm Hole(pics added on p.3)  (Read 8821 times)

Offline echatham

Re: Worm Hole
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2014, 10:52:15 am »
outlaw thats true, good point

Offline nlester

Re: Worm Hole(Pics Added)
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2014, 01:02:40 pm »
Belly patch
elly patchT

Back patch

I'll try and take some pics of the profile and bending it on the tree.  Right now I've got it braced to about 5 inches and have pulled it out to 23 inches.  I had a little hinge in one of the fades, but I'm slowly taking that out and continuing to reduce weight and sweat the bow by keep it strung.  I'm doing my best to be patient and not push it too much, which isn't normal for me.  I think I should be able to sling a few from it by this evening if all continues to go as planned.

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Worm Hole(pics added on p.3)
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2014, 01:17:30 pm »
is that the belly or back,, and did the hole go all the way through,, how long is the bow,, and what is your intended draw,,, make sure to not over stress the bow with a draw that might be pushing it,, I would consider wrapping that area with sinew,, there are those that say it will not help,, but it wont hurt,, and could very well hold down a splinter if one should want to lift,, :)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 01:21:01 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline nlester

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2014, 04:10:11 pm »
Brad,
Top pick is belly, and other is back.  Yes, it went through.  Unfortunately, I've got a new problem.  I have a hinge at the fade that has now caused compression fractures and I just can't seem to get it out.  From my experiences, once compression fractures start, you can continue to take wood off around it to relief pressure, but the damage is probably already done.  Dang!!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2014, 04:51:39 pm »
well dont panic,, just dont take any wood off there,, make the bow a little lighter than you had in mind,,
what is the length of the stave,,,if you can tiller the bow so that spot is stiffer,, it will probably hold,,,osage is pretty tough, if you dont over strain the part any more and make a light weight bow,, it could work,, you dont have anything to loose so just take your time and give it a try, no you are not wasting your time,, you are learning something every time you work on a bow,, :) next time post pics of the long string and first braced and we can give you an idea how it looks bending

Offline nlester

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2014, 07:07:41 pm »
Brad,
It's already past long string.  I've shot it.  It's a little lighter than I'd hoped but it's shootable.  I flipped the tips to give a little more zip.  I'm just worried those compressions are going to get worse.  It looks like I got the hinge out.  I'll try and get pics when I can.  It's 60" from tip to tip.  I've got some sinew and may try my hand at that.  I've also entertained the idea of putting belly lams on too, or I may just leave it as is. :P  Who knows.  I appreciate all the help.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2014, 07:41:35 pm »
well that sounds good,, if you are going to sinew something it is alot of work, too much work for a stave that might possibly have some issues
I would recommend a new piece of wood for that
and shoot the one you have as is,, :) that being said,, if it shoots for a while and does not get any worse,, would not hurt to practice a little sinew on it,,