Author Topic: Yew bow 2nd attempt; tiller help please. Autopsy required  (Read 16304 times)

Offline Red Dwarf

Yew bow 2nd attempt; tiller help please. Autopsy required
« on: January 17, 2008, 12:52:49 pm »
 :)
After missing my weight by 10# on my 1st attempt I thought it wise to canvas the views of those with a good deal more experience on this, my next attempt.

I am looking for 45# @ 26" from these billets which are 64" nock to nock.

How am I doing?

The left limb will be the bottom limb...looks a little stiff in the outer half to me...??

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 10:50:21 pm by Red Dwarf »

Offline tom sawyer

Re: Yew bow 2nd attempt; tiller help please pictures
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 01:07:26 pm »
Looks like the left limb is bending a little harder in the first foot off the handle.  You see it is reaching the same horizontal line quicker than the other.  Odd since you have a thicker place in the area.  Id' watch that you don't stress just outside/inside that little thick spot.  Otherwise, as usual you need to work the midlimbs.  But it looks good so far.

Your outer third will look bendier when you go to a short string.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Red Dwarf

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 12:39:04 am »
I did a little more shaving & scraping tonight, working as suggested.
I have also changed my bow support from a 3 1/2" wide flat support to a radiused support as suggested by Mr Torges in one of his articles.
Here's a picture pulling 43# @ 18" on the long string

How are things coming along?

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 11:40:13 am »
My impression is to work the middle thrid of both limbs, the left a little harder.  Looks like you are about to be able to string the bow, you are pulling it to 6" of bend and things look fairly smooth.  Maybe short-string at a low brace (4") and quickly run a short straightedge along the belly to mark flat spots.  You can get a lot of guidance fast using this approach, without doing much damage.

Somebody else ought to chime in, I don't have the best eye for tiller.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Red Dwarf

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 02:02:22 pm »
Anybody else out there with comments/advice on how to proceed?

Red Dwarf

Offline markinengland

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 02:20:46 pm »
I would say that now may be the time to shorten the tillering string and go to a low brace height and re-look at the shape before you do any more. This is likley to change the shape in the tips, which currently look a little stiff. A near final string length may make things look quite different.
Go slow to get the bow looking right at about 6 inches of brace height before going any further. The changes needed now will be very little. slowly working and scraping will get you there.
Mark in England

duffontap

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 03:38:21 pm »
I don't want to add much to good advice you've already received but here's a trick:  As you draw the bow on the tree, watch the handle area to see if it seems to be tilting to one side or the other.  That will help a lot with the balance of the limbs.  You can also 'feel' this when you draw a strung bow.  The handle will rock toward the stiffer limb.  As Mark and Lennie said, you're going to want to work the outer portions of the limbs now--carefully.  Check it often or... :'(

Nice set of billets you've got there.  Lucky guy.

J. D.

Offline Red Dwarf

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 09:35:02 pm »
Thanks Mark & J.D.

I will brace to about 1" and see how we go.
I cut the billets about 2 years ago and have been waiting to give them a try;  would hate to mess them up though and that is why I am seeking the good advice of the guys around here.

Thanks again

Red Dwarf

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 10:38:35 pm »
ttt for more help
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Codeman

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 10:47:10 pm »
it dosent look like it to me.... but thats just me ???

Offline Red Dwarf

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 12:02:36 am »
If I am looking for a slightly elliptical tiller i.e. flatter near the handle, should this elliptical shape be evident at brace height or just at full draw?

Red Dwarf

duffontap

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 12:27:44 am »
The elliptical tiller will appear more pronounced as the draw progresses.  But, if it's round-in-the-handle at brace, it will most likely look very round at full draw.

J. D.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 12:37:48 am »
Looks good.  May be just a bit more bending mid limb on both limbs. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Red Dwarf

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 01:17:21 am »
Did some more shaving & scraping on the mid limb areas and shortened the string to brace just touching the handle (too nervous to go any shorter!); here are a few pictures.
Pulling 45# @ 20", at rest showing that we are getting a little string follow now (don't like that much) and one showing the area where most of the set is happening right at the knot 2/3 down along the bottom limb. I left more wood around the knot so unsure of why this is happening/

What do you guys think?

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: Yew bow 2nd attempt; tiller help please. Now 45# @ 20"
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 01:27:36 am »
Don't be afraid to brace the bow. Your bending it past brace anyways. Your tiller looks pretty good to me, just the right limb appears stronger to me. That knot doesn't look good on the edge of the limb like that, in the future try not to cut through any knots on the edge of the limb like that. If this bow makes it through tillering I'd wrap that knot with thread soaked in super glue, for safety's sake.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 10:40:46 am by Ryano »
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....