Author Topic: sinew strings  (Read 1868 times)

Offline wizardgoat

sinew strings
« on: December 15, 2014, 12:09:13 pm »
I made a sinew string for a new bow, and I gotta say its pretty cool shooting bows and arrows of all natural materials.
my string is on the thick side, I think, I havent seen or held anyone elses to compare.
what can be used as serving for it? More sinew?
Does anyone wax their strings?
For some reason I cant help but baby it and be timid while shooting it. I know millions of animals (and humans) have been killed with sinew strings, is there some kind of rule of thumb for desired string thickness vs weight of bow? Its in a 40lb bow, string is thicker than a 14 strand sacron string, and for sure shoots a little sluggish compared the FF tillering string I used

Offline Shaneisneato

• Somewhere around Louisville
Re: sinew strings
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 01:56:34 pm »
Whatanimal was the sinew from?
Did you post here on the process you followed? Sorry I may have missed all this before if you did.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 02:02:30 pm »
Its all backstrap from deer. I made it dry, then soaked it in warm water and hung a weight off it overnight.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 05:33:13 pm »
  Send loefflerchuck a pm or maybe he will see this...He uses them and makes them...
                                                                                                                                Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 12:27:28 am »
Ya I send chuck enough texts as it is!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 12:33:40 am »
I don't use any servings on my sinew strings and I don't think any Native American strings had servings.  If you like, you can certainly wrap with long strands of backstrap sinew.

I've never added wax or anything to my strings although I have tried "waterproofing" a sinew string with titebond glue.  I didn't test the string with water because it was WAY too heavy and I just tossed it.

I've got some videos on the subject and I'll give you a link if you like.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 02:43:49 am »
I've made a few but they are no good here in the humidity.....well to a point.
For a fast 60# rocket launcher my strings are around an 1/8th diameter. I sure was worried about my lovely bow when I first used it! As long as you can't feel any thin spots and all your twisting is neat then it should be plenty strong. Also if you are worried about it then test it with a heavy weight scale and a pulley system. I got to about 260# when I tested one and it still felt solid.