Author Topic: arrow heads  (Read 6078 times)

costicaldad

arrow heads
« on: January 16, 2008, 07:25:17 pm »
As we don't have flint IN my country i was wondering what else i could use ,aborigines just used to sharpen hard wood and heat it up to harden it ,could i use glass bottles ect

Offline david w.

Re: arrow heads
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 07:35:40 pm »
i dont know about glass but you can use bone ,shell, antler.  Do you have any rocks like slate where you live?  Making slate heads is easy you just grind them against a brick untill you get your desired shape.

here is a pic of a slate head

[attachment deleted by admin]
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 07:51:07 pm »
Actually, flintknappers here in the states import tons of Aussie mookite every year and consider it to be one of the most desirable types of stone. I'm sure there's knappable stuff there if you look. If you have limestone or old volcanos, you've probably got some knappable rock in the vicinity. Glass works fairly well, too and is good to learn on. The bottoms of those big Foster's bottles make good points.  :) Even toilet tank porcelain is knappable. I read somewhere once about aborigines getting cut off from their flint source and using ceramic telegraph insulators to knap their spear points. This of course, disrupted the telegraph service to such an extent that the telegraph people started leaving piles of extra insulators around the poles so that the ones on the pole didn't get ripped off.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 08:03:24 pm »
Bone works well- like slate you grind it, and then like wood (which also works well- i tried one a few weeks ago and cut myslef ;)) you fire harden it. Usually it works a little better than wood, if only because once you get a nice sharp edge it will last longer.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 01:16:45 am »
Go to your local glass company and dig in their dumpster for 1/4" plate glass. Makes nice points and you don't have to worry about thinning them.  ;D    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

costicaldad

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 05:51:35 am »
thanks guys  plenty of stubbies and lime stone  I'll also try bone ,no antlers though ,never heard of mookite more lernin i supose

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 08:43:20 am »
If you have limestone, there's likely chert (flint) in there somewhere. Do a google search on chert in your area.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 08:53:16 am »
 There is also some nice opal I've gotten from Australia. Like Hillbilly said,if you have limestone you probally have chert of some sort.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 11:14:02 am »
I am sure you have TOILETS in your country. Bust the tank up and use the porcelain to make some heads...also called "johnstone" or "thunder chert"

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 11:24:07 am »
Do a search formookaite, also known as mookite, mookalite and see if you can find some. It is only found in Australia and is one of the prettiest knappable stones you can find.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline stickbender

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 05:02:32 am »
     Hillbilly beat me to it.  I read the same thing about the insulaters.  Got a dump in your area?  Look for old tv tube glass.  Nice and thick.  Like he said if you have limestone in your area, you should have some chert, of some kind or another.  Also go to a glass, or window store, or manufacturer, and get the scrap glass.  You should be able to get some thick stuff also.
Good luck.
                                                                      Stickbender.