Author Topic: Juniper for an "Ishi" bow  (Read 9888 times)

Offline Billinthedesert

Juniper for an "Ishi" bow
« on: December 14, 2014, 07:28:33 pm »
It has been some time since I read Kroger's biography of Ishi, but I seem to recall the Yahi harvested their juniper bow wood from branches, rather than from juniper trunks. What diameter should I be looking for, and from the sky side or the earth side?

Offline Blacktail

Re: Juniper for an "Ishi" bow
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 08:40:27 pm »
well bill,i would say the sky side...and branch size is really up to you..but,i have learned from keenan howard that its better to get bigger branchs because there is a better ratio of heart wood to sap wood..the sap wood in branchs is thinner.. that way you dont have to do so much reducing down....i have found that juniper trees have alot of sap and a very little heart..the heart is the back bone in the bow plus sinew backing it...it make a great bow if you do curtain things to it..WHERE DO YOU LIVE...john

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 08:54:18 pm »
I think Ishi harvested the branch staves wherever there was a clear spot that was not twisted.  It's hard to find trunks without twist.  But I suppose it depends on the type of juniper.  Where I live, the juniper is best from the top of the tree or the earth side of the branches.

I would go for 3" to 4" diameter branches.  And Ishi didn't worry about violating the rings when he removed the bark and smoothed the back.  I assume he decrowned the staves and the observers didn't know what he was doing.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 09:46:19 pm »
Of the many sinew backed juniper bows I have made, the ones of all sapwood and no heartwood shoot as well as most heartwood. It's all about the reflex and sinew. Like yew juniper will shoot better with rounded edges.  Ishi bow cross section were typical california flat bows. Easiest just to pull the bark off and use the sapwood right under it as the back. Then round the edges on the belly to match

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 10:59:15 pm »
thanks for the info..i love learning about juniper..i wish more people used it..hey bill..is this billoregon from PP...just wondering if this the same bill that is freinds with frenchy from the rouge valley..john

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 09:47:02 am »
I won a juniper stave from bruce, I wish I had more. If u didn't have to ainew back it is enjoy it even more.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 04:17:49 pm »
  If you find a big spready old juniper and wade right in to the foliage, you often find big old lower branches with most of their length in the shade of the branches above them.  Shade means no foliage, so they have often not had anything growing on that upper side of the limb for years and years.  That branch has also been reaching out laterally from the trunk, trying to keep the big spray of needles out in the light as the branches above it have grown over and shaded more of it's length.

The up side of that guy is the one you want.

And BTW ,if you notch the stave at each end asnd bend the branch it will pop off,

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 10:39:59 pm »
I seem to remember that Ishi used Juniper but preferred the California Incense Cedar anyone else or am I going nuts?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 12:26:35 am »
I don't know if Ishi "preferred" a type of wood.  He made yew bows as well as cedar and juniper bows.  After contact, I think he made a bow out of ash too but I can't remember.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Billinthedesert

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 11:26:03 am »
Blacktail, yep, Bill from Paleo Planet, and Frenchy's beaver buddy. Thought this might be you.
I live in central Oregon now, between Redmond and Sisters. It's a juniper jungle here!
Springbuck, that's some righteous advice you gave there.
Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.
The only backed bow I ever made was an Oregon white oak bow backed with silk in TB II. (It blew on me about 300 arrows in.)
So if I make a juniper flat bow, I'll finally be forced to try using sinew and hide glue. Been meaning to for years.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 11:29:45 am by Billinthedesert »

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 02:30:27 pm »
i read in bowyers bible that juniper was his preferred wood,,

Offline Newindian

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 03:04:09 pm »
When I use the branches I prefer the upper side for self bows with a thin layer of sapwood ( often times on the old lower branches that are dried on the tree there is no sapwood on the upper side of the branch) for sinew backed bows I prefer the heartwood from the  underside
I like free stuff.

mikekeswick

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 03:43:12 am »
Sapwood will make a good bow but I made a spliced at the handle sinew backedd juniper. As it worked out there was more spawood on the belly of one limb.....guess what the sapwood chyrsaled and the heartwood was fine. It also looks much nicer in a finished bow. Go for a biggish branch and aim to make the bow out of all heartwood = sinew.
I wish I had more juniper.

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 07:06:11 pm »
I was working an erc the other day. Had it at brace. Soon as I slipped the string onto the nock it blew up into 5 pieces. It was plenty wide and I was only wanting a 40#. Sapwood backed heart wood. I am trying a miniature boo backed erc now to see if that will work for me.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Traxx

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 11:29:51 pm »
Before life at the university,Ishi preferred and used juniper.He did use other woods such as Yew,while at the university and mostly at the request of Pope.It is said that Ishi knew of other people using Yew,but never did himself.He knew that the leaves were poisonous to eat,so yeah Peacebow_Coos,you are going nuts ;D

Incense cedar seems to have been used by the Miwok though.