Author Topic: Del's Pyramid Taper Test!  (Read 19151 times)

Offline DC

Re: Del's Pyramid Taper Test!
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2014, 03:22:14 pm »
It's the only way left I could think of bending it ;) ;)

Offline scp

« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2014, 04:50:54 pm »
If anything I am a little surprised that there is a such a clean correlation between width and final bending, it is neat that a straight line taper matches up with the changing leverage at a 1:1 ratio.
Actually it is not a straight line taper but the curve is quite close to one. According to TBB4 page 117, the breakdown of stress ratios are from handle to tip at 5 even intervals 30% 27% 22% 15% 6%. The "pyramid" should be a little fatter than a triangle.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2014, 05:21:00 pm »
scp said:

Actually it is not a straight line taper but the curve is quite close to one. According to TBB4 page 117, the breakdown of stress ratios are from handle to tip at 5 even intervals 30% 27% 22% 15% 6%. The "pyramid" should be a little fatter than a triangle.
[/quote]

I remember those numbers being corellated to % of energy storage in each 1/5th of an evenly STRAINED longbow.  Even on a pyramid, I could believe that the energy storage broke down like this, but the strain would be consistent.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 12:24:39 pm by Springbuck »

Offline Poggins

« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2014, 05:31:52 pm »
I've built one , it was out of an oak floor board .
I did it just to see how it worked , went from 2" at the fades to about 3/8" at the tips straight taper and set a stop up on the bandsaw to keep the thickness the same and stopped at the fades to keep a stiff handle .
Didn't take an hour total to start putting arrows through it , I left the grooves on the bottom of the board to show folks that it is a floor board ( growth rings run vertical and grain runs horizontal and it was pretty clean exept for one spot where the grain has a wave in it ).

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2014, 07:25:53 pm »
Yes, Jim, but I would have thought the wider inner portions would have bent less. Not sure I see that. Jawge

Jawge, maybe it's easier to think of just one limb with the wide part clamped. The limb could be as long as you want as long as the ratio of length to width is maintained. The wide end would always bend as much as the rest of the limb, because the leverage at any point has the same relation to the width at that point.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline duke3192

• pm109331
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2014, 08:10:06 pm »
I have enjoyed reading this whole, insane thread and the fact is , it doesn't matter, either your bow works or it doesn't. The fun and the pain is in the making, too much D*** thinking.
charter member of traditional bow hunters of Florida.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2014, 08:30:48 pm »
If anything I am a little surprised that there is a such a clean correlation between width and final bending, it is neat that a straight line taper matches up with the changing leverage at a 1:1 ratio.

SCD, you are  quoting a writer who is not an engineer, as  far as I know. Klopsteag and Hickman were engineers. Machinery's Handbook was written by engineers. Those sources say that if the thickness is uniform, both geometry and physics dictate that the sides should be straight.

Taking into account the need for nocks, the limb stops tapering when the width of the nock is reached.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2014, 08:33:58 pm »
For giggles, I set a 2x4 across two saw horses, then laid a 4x4 ft sheet of plexiglass diagonally across it.  I used duct tape wrapping over the "tips" and connected it with some 1/4 inch rope. 

When I gave it a pull, whatdya know, the "tiller" looked good. 

Now I imagine if you made a diamond shape, such that the angle of the bow limbs was described by an obtuse angle (reater than 90 degrees), you would still get that same tiller effect.  So then, comes the question....at what point does the angle become so acute that the effect is lost?  Is it even possible to get to such an acute angle that it would behave differently? 

Or is this akin to "squaring the circle"?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline scp

« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2014, 08:50:18 pm »
SCP, you are  quoting a writer who is not an engineer, as  far as I know. Klopsteag and Hickman were engineers. Machinery's Handbook was written by engineers. Those sources say that if the thickness is uniform, both geometry and physics dictate that the sides should be straight.
The engineer who did the calculation is named in the book.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2014, 09:22:31 pm »
SCP, you are  quoting a writer who is not an engineer, as  far as I know. Klopsteag and Hickman were engineers. Machinery's Handbook was written by engineers. Those sources say that if the thickness is uniform, both geometry and physics dictate that the sides should be straight.
The engineer who did the calculation is named in the book.

I knew something had to be wrong. There are two somethings wrong. First on the page cited, engineer David Dewey is talking about a "D-longbow," not a "pyramid" bow. Second, I found no mention pages 117,118 to leaving the sides wider than a straight line.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline scp

« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2014, 09:53:33 pm »
I knew something had to be wrong. There are two somethings wrong. First on the page cited, engineer David Dewey is talking about a "D-longbow," not a "pyramid" bow. Second, I found no mention pages 117,118 to leaving the sides wider than a straight line.

I'm talking about the proper way to taper a well made bow. Either through thickness as in a "D-longbow" or through width as in a "pyramid bow".  We usually combine the two tapers. What makes you think a straight triangle with even thickness would make a better bow?

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2014, 10:11:00 pm »
It has not been the purpose of Del's thread or my contributions to compare designs or promote a design as the best. But, Klopsteg and Hickman, among others, point out that every inch of a triangular limb of uniform thickness is able to contribute equally to the storage of energy. This is not true of a bow that tapers in thickness because there is one best thickness for any particular degree of curvature. In a bow of tapering thickness, thicker sections have to bend less, therefore they store less energy.

Why ask me? None of the research is mine. Why not read the original material?
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline scp

« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2014, 10:34:29 pm »

Even though it is not 1:1 ratio, the ratios are not random.
30% -3 27% -5 22% -7 15% -9 6%
It sure describes a nice curve often found in nature.

Offline son of massey

« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2014, 10:59:40 pm »
I didn't think the breakdown would be random, and I can rationalize the results from an 'amount of material resisting bending/physics' point of view. It is just neat to me it works out that way. I don't think it is hard to imagine a universe wherein the leverage effect would be some odd ratio to material strength, in which case a curved outline would match up better. Its just a neat thing that a relatively straight line fits the bill.

SOM

mikekeswick

« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2014, 02:53:37 am »
Thickness determines bend, width determines weight.
Done.
 >:D
Now lets go make bows!!!! ;)