Author Topic: Second attempt at maple stave build ("complete")  (Read 4579 times)

Offline mhof86

Second attempt at maple stave build ("complete")
« on: December 10, 2014, 12:54:43 pm »
Hey guys I am back at it after the fatality that was my first stave build. This one is just roughed out and hasn't seen even a long string yet. Question that I have though is with the tips. My experience with heat and bow building is all through reading. I have not tried anything yet but I think this is the bow I am going to start playing with it.

Here is a side profile pic. The right tip in the picture was a natural curve in the wood. The left was me trying to replicate it. My question is should I put a little more curve into the tips, and what benefits could I gain?

The bow as it sits now is 64" T2T; 28" limbs; 1 3/4" wide at handle to 1/2" nocks. Plans for the bow are around 30-35# at 25".

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 10:41:19 am by mhof86 »

Offline bow101

Re: Second attempt at maple stave build
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 01:33:10 pm »
I build mostly Maple bows. Like the wood for its forgiveness in its elasticity.  As long as the grain looks good you should not have any problems.  Apparently heat works very well on maple, it will bend easily with dry heat. Looking good.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 01:52:20 pm »
that would just be up to you, and what you want,, if it was me,, I would build as is,,,looks nice

Offline adams89

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 02:01:27 pm »
I would slightly temper the whole bow ( it will give it a harder twang) other than that i would tiller  it slow and softly and you will get a nice bow out of that stave, for sure. give it some nice thin tips if you will, that adds to the performance..
Just as a tipp if you temper the bow, watch out, it adds a lot of strength to it!!
looks good so far.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 04:46:56 pm »
  Yopu can curve the tips more if you want, but I sure don't think you need to. Yer a TAD narrow, but I would leave the tips with that slight curve, make em narrow and stiff-ish for 7-8", and heat treat, as mentioned.  If you heat treat, and don't narrow any more, except the tips, and tiller a little more midlimb bend, you'll take some set, get half of it back from the little flipped tips, and have a darn nice little shooter.

Keep the handle as short as possible, and the fades no longer than needed.

Offline mhof86

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 07:17:47 pm »
Thanks for the tips. I will narrow them slightly and give the heat treat a try. Probably won't get to work on it until this weekend though  :(

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 09:30:15 pm »
You just gotta like a guy that don't know enough to quit when he's licked.  Cuz he's the guy that's gonna get back up off the floor and have your back when you need it.  He's the guy that never throws your bail, nope.  He's the guy sitting on the bunk next to you with a snicker about to break out of the grin he is desperately trying to not show the jailor.  Yup, he's the guy that grabs another stave and whistles as he piles up the shavings. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mhof86

Re: Second attempt at maple stave build ("complete")
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 10:49:04 am »
lol thanks JW. So I had some time to work on it this morning and I got it out to 24" and its pulling around 32-34lbs. Here are some pictures as of right now. I am pretty happy with it. Shoots pretty quick and is really snappy.

The only concern I have is the string is off center a bit. Will this create any issues down the road? Its not off by much, still running through the handle just not centered as well as the others.

Anyway here are a couple pictures. Hope this one holds together :)

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 10:53:47 am »
Looks good chief!
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 10:59:31 am »
Hey man, nice finish! 

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2014, 04:43:47 pm »
IF it is possible, just hold the bow so that the side the string lies off is the side the arrow passes.  The bow will act more centershot that way and will be less picky about spine on the arrows it shoots.

For example if you are right handed, hold the bow such that the string wanders more to the left side of the bow where the arrow lies.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2014, 04:52:33 pm »
You can normally adjust the tips or the grip/arrow pass to correct the stringline. That's why it's prudent to leave tips about maybe 3/4" wide until the bow is drawing back say 20" fully braced, then you can start narrowing the tips. doing the grip is part of "finishing" (the clue is in the name  :laugh: )
Good job :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline mhof86

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2014, 05:20:02 pm »
Thanks guys. Lol thanks for the tip del. Jw that's how I am shooting it. Got the next one laid out this afternoon. Another and the final piece of maple I have sitting around. Gonna have to get back out and find some more sticks to bend here shortly.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2014, 06:22:56 pm »
congrats on your bow,, looking good

Offline GB

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2014, 08:51:18 pm »
I like your bow's profile.  Nice job tillering it.
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.