Author Topic: Vine Maple for a friend! Added new owner pictures!  (Read 9060 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Vine Maple for a friend! Added new owner pictures!
« on: December 04, 2014, 11:53:39 pm »
A while ago I posted a special hand made scraper that a friend of mine that I worked with made me. It was a pretty good surprise to me. Because I came into work one day and there it sit right on my desk.
So I set out to make him a bow, at the time I was still pretty green to making bows. The first one was a red oak board bow that I broke after about 200 shots. Just so happens it was the day after I had my friend come over and I made him a custom grip for it. The next was red oak as well, I broke it while tillering it. Then there was two hard maple bows that exploded while shooting them again. I was pretty sure the last one was going to make it. Till the limb blew off and stuck in my privacy fence. I then decide that was the last board bow I would make. I called my friend and pretty much told him that I was going to make him a bow but I wasn't sure when it was going to be done. I kinda put his bow on the back burner and I built one others, some for me and some for the kids around here. All turned out nice and are still shooters. All from staves. I thought he was a jinks. Then at mojam I acquired a piece of vine maple. It was tillered mostly and still kinda ruff and 72 inches long. I messed with it some and it seemed to want to be shorter. So I cut it down to 66" really tapered the tips and really tillered it a bit. Took some weight off and done a heat treat on it. When all was said and done It ended up a pretty nice little bow. So I shot it a bunch and got it all shined up and finished. I called my friend and told him I finally had a bow done for him. He said awesome, but I have food poisoning and if I wouldn't mind to hold off for a while bringing it to him. Well it's been a month now and he is all better and said that he could enjoy it now. So I'm taking it to him this Saturday morning. I will post pictures of him with it this weekend. But for now here it is! FINALLY!

Stats,
66ntn, 30@24
Hemp handle wrap
Non floppy (floppy) rest, super glue mishap
The last 9in of the tips still has the bark on.
Artificial sinew wrapped.
2 coats of shellac and 5 coats of polly urethane.
Red B50 string with green serving.
Rabbit fur silencers, first attempt, so so. 
Thanks for looking guys, and all the help. Patrick

« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 11:10:00 pm by lebhuntfish »
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Vine Maple for a friend!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 11:59:50 pm »
Nice bend and nice details, Patrick.   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 12:05:11 am »
Thanks Pat! Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 12:08:51 am »
Nice lookin bow!

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 12:19:13 am »
Nice work

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 12:33:30 am »
Thanks fellas! Patrick

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 06:48:36 am »
Nice looking bow, I got a kick out of the "glue mishap", non floppy floppy rest  ;D ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 07:01:22 am »
Nice looking bends from my seat, good job.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 08:33:34 am »
Great bend Patrick and the bark looks interesting, hope it stays on for you. That bow should shoot for ever...
                                                                                                                                 Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 08:48:06 am »
Tiller looks fine....but that full draw pic creeps me out...lol. How do u know how far you're drawing? It always creeps me out when people do that on full draw pics(looking at the camera)...lol  :laugh:

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 11:05:44 am »
Thanks so much guy's, I'm getting better at my tillering, could still use some practice.

Blackhawk, I had the arrow marked at 24" I drew it back several times like that to make sure where I had to hold it. I used my phone an the front facing camera and a 5 second timer to take the full draw picture. I had it standing on a doorknob. I was trying to make sure that the bow was in the shot!

The bark has been on there like that ever since I got it. It seems to be on pretty tight out at the tips where it don't bend much.

Thanks again, and don't be afraid to criticize it. I'm here to learn still. Patrick

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 12:04:54 pm »
Nice bend. I like the front profile on that bow. Some nicely balanced character there.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2014, 02:15:55 pm »
Thanks Carson, it shoots nicely. Minor hand shock and it's pretty quick for 30 lbs. It will also take at least 3in of over draw with no stack! Patrick

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2014, 03:45:34 pm »
Nice bow!
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2014, 04:51:38 pm »
Nice!  I admire your persistence.  My attempts at board bows haven't gone too well either...I much prefer staves.  Does that handle work a bit?