Author Topic: Bowyer's knot and fast flight string  (Read 5372 times)

Offline H Rhodes

Bowyer's knot and fast flight string
« on: December 04, 2014, 02:05:30 am »
 I have been reading old posts by some of you knowledgeable fellows about fast flight string and decided to give it a try.  I made an endless loop string with D-97 , ten strands and double served.  It shoots great on my 62" recurve and I have to say that I should have tried it sooner...  I am hard headed and slow to change.  It seemed a little faster, a little quieter, and less aggravating to break in.  B-50 always has a break in period where I have to adjust brace height a few times as the string is stretched out.  This string was a breeze.  I set the brace height one time - done.    All this is well and good, but I ran into trouble on my next ff string... 
  On my longbows, I have come to appreciate my flemish strings with the loop at one end and the bowyer's knot on the bottom.  It doesn't fall off when the bow is unbraced and I like that.  I couldn't get a bowyer's knot to work with my fast flight material.  The knot kept slipping and I need some advice on how to proceed.  I am sure one of you guys has figured this one out.  What do I need to do?     
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

mikekeswick

Re: Bowyer's knot and fast flight string
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 03:36:40 am »
How many strands are you using? I normally only use 8 - 10 strands of fastflight (bows - upto 65#). So I add say 6 strands of B50 to thicken the ends out to 16 or so strands. The B50 is a lot less 'slick' which then allows me to tie a bowyers knot with just two turns around the bend with no slippage. Other than that make sure your first wrap around the bend is very tight and wrapped virtually back on itself not an open wrap. Three wraps around the bend should be enough but make sure that first wrap is tight.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 03:38:35 am »
IMO Bowyers knots are only reliable with natural material. Most man made stuff is too slippery, even then I find and extra wrap through helps, and it needs to follow the twist if you know what I mean.
I only ever use a linen string and bowyers knot for show, rest of the time it's continuous loop FF.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 05:35:46 am »
I do at least 3 wrap through when I use  ff for my tiller strings, only use 2 with B50. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 05:35:50 am »
Thanks for the replies.  I am using 10 strands and most of my bows are in the 45 - 60lb range.  I will try it with some B-50 woven in the ends.    I have never had a problem with my knot with the B-50 and even with it, I usually make three wraps.  Do most of you make a double loop with your fast flight strings?  How many of you tie the bowyer's knot using fast flight?   Just curious and thanks for the ideas.       
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 05:42:02 am »
I always [well most of the time] use double loops except for my tiller strings. :)But I did that when I used B50 also.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 07:47:24 am »
I make the double loop for FF and D97 bow strings.  I had the same problem with the bowyers knot slipping on my tillering strings.  I give it an extra wrap or two.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 08:22:10 am »
Trying to keep a timber hitch from slipping when using FF on a 100#+ bow is a nightmare.  I just don't bother with Flemish strings anymore.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 09:18:43 am »
Howard I just use a b-50 tillering string till I get to brace then I make my ff double loop string
for the bow and finish with that
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 09:24:37 am »
I am getting ready to order some FF  or some d97 soon can't wait to see the difference.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 09:25:16 am »
That's the best Idea bubby, :) I really like the low stretch in the FF for tillering string but I have found if the B50 is made right with very few twist it won't stretch that much either. :)
If you put a lot of twist in it, it's is like a coil spring and will never quite stretching /a real pain to try and tiller with, especially the first low brace. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline TimBo

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 11:31:54 am »
I tried D97 this summer, and it drove me crazy until I tied a simple overhand knot just past the bowyer's knot on the loose end of the string.  That works great, but is a bit of a drag if you have to adjust it later.  I saw that trick on here somewhere.  Using an extra wrap or two does help, but I don't completely trust it without the extra knot.  I do like the way the new strings shoot though!

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2014, 12:08:25 pm »
I recently started using FF, and I don't see myself going back to B-50.  I use 8 stands FF endless loop, padded with 4 stands of B-50 at the nocks and served with halo.  I use this method for all my bows in the 45-65 # range.

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2014, 12:51:42 pm »
I found that the knot holds better if I twist the part involved in the knot into cord. I use three wraps and follow the lay of the cord.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 12:52:16 pm »
I tie a knot after the timber hitch,, so it cant pull past that :)