Author Topic: To acetone or not to acetone?  (Read 4782 times)

Offline missilemaster

To acetone or not to acetone?
« on: December 02, 2014, 07:44:06 am »
  That is the question.  I have heard both sides of this and I want to get your opinion. I always scrub the wood well before I do a glue up and have not had a problem yet. But I know some good bowyers who say that that simply causes oils in the wood to rush to the surface so they dont ever use it.  Whats you opinion?
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: To acetone or not to acetone?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 08:48:17 am »
Freshly cut or sanded wood seems to adhere better once the sawdust is brushed off with a stiff bruh. I've also heard that acetone or other solvents will draw oils up to the surface.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 08:55:18 am »
Never have and never will. But, you know me my friend! If it aint broke, why fix it?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 08:55:29 am »
Some woods have a lot more oil in them than others. I think on white woods a good sanding wood be fine, but they're are a few woods out there that should be treated with acetone in order to remove as much oil as possible before glueing. Woods like paduk, or cocobolo.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 09:01:54 am »
Yea, Paduk I have found has a near endless supply of oil in it. Maybe it could refined and sold as the next big health fad ::)

Real men love Jesus.

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 09:15:59 am »
I've done it with and without acetone on epe and haven't had a problem either way so I quit using it, just rough it up with 36 grit blow it off and glue it up
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 10:44:43 am »
Never. Ever.
I use TB3 glue, and freshly sanded surfaces. Even with ipe. It's all about prep.
I've never had a glue failure with hundreds of bows either.

Offline JonW

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 03:12:41 pm »
I did several sinew backings by just roughing it with a hacksaw blade. No problems. I tried acetone two times in a row and had the sinew try to lift. I'm with Chris.

Offline bow101

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 04:55:24 pm »
I understand your dilemma but the way I look at it why even use exotic woods other than the color and texture. There are great North American woods and lots of them that do not contain all this oil...........

1] Osage
2] Yew
3] Ash
4] Hickory
5] Maple
6] Cherry
7] Black Locust
8] Elm
9] Oak
10] Ocean spray
11] Juniper
12] Black Walnut
13] Hawthorn........and the list goes on.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline eponym

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 05:00:24 pm »
I did several sinew backings by just roughing it with a hacksaw blade. No problems. I tried acetone two times in a row and had the sinew try to lift. I'm with Chris.

I'm also a fan of the hacksaw approach.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 05:15:55 pm »
I've done it with and without acetone on epe and haven't had a problem either way so I quit using it, just rough it up with 36 grit blow it off and glue it up

This   is how I do it with ipe and massaranduba, too.  I don't like to actually score the wood, but leaving a rough sanded, (though level), rather than glass smooth surface works great.

Offline duke3192

• pm109331
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 09:57:11 pm »
You fellows didn't all say what glue you are using, remember, acetone is a solvent that thins epoxy(weakens).
charter member of traditional bow hunters of Florida.

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 11:06:02 pm »
You fellows didn't all say what glue you are using, remember, acetone is a solvent that thins epoxy(weakens).

Well 99% of my glueups are tb2 or 3
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

mikekeswick

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 04:10:49 am »
Yes it depends on the glue. It's not a straight yes or no answer. Acetone can also be useful before you apply a finish. Denatured alcohol is also very good.
Lignum vitae is the best wood to play about with these things on. You want oil!?!?!?! Try steaming it for a bit of fun!
I also think it's best to do some simple tests yourself. Glue up some blocks of wood that have been 'degreased' some that haven't and repeat with all the different glues you use regularly. A large vice and an adjustable spanner will tell you a lot  :)
Also of course the manufacturer's tech sheet will tell all...if not I'd email them and get a definate answer.

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 07:53:01 am »
Alright guys, thanks for the info. I am using smooth-on epoxy, Doesn't acetone only thin epoxies before it evaporates? I wouldent think there would be any danger of that when its dry.

Real men love Jesus.