Author Topic: Mockernut hickory score questions?  (Read 4336 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Mockernut hickory score questions?
« on: December 01, 2014, 07:23:07 pm »
A few weeks ago my dad called me and asked me if I wanted some hickory. I said absolutely! I told him how to take care of it for me until I could come get it. He done a good job and painted the ends well too!

The logs are about 7' long and really clean and straight. They are mockernut hickory, which is a all white wood. They are about 12 to 14 inches across. Of course still really green to.
My question is would you wait to split them until they dry out for a few months? I attempted to split one yesterday and I barely got a wedge started after 30 min of work.

Also I've heard that you can scarf the length of the log to start the split along that line. Is that something I should do also? Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Mockernut hickory score questions?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 07:39:13 pm »
12 to 14" in dia would take forever to dry if you don't split it.  I'd split it, if the bark peeled that would be good.
The hickory I've cut was in the spring, when the leaves start showing.  Straight and no knots.  They split fairly easy.  The bark came off real easy on each stave, all in one piece once I got it started with a screw driver.  After that I sealed the back and ends.  this worked real good no checks.
pending where you live it may be too late to peel the bark.  fall and winter the bark is like its glued on.  the back is right under the bark, ring chasing is not necessary.
Hope this helps.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Drewster

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 07:42:25 pm »
I would split out the staves as soon as you can.  It's not going to get any easier as the log dries.  You can control the drying process better and faster as staves rather than drying the whole log.  Look carefully at the end of the log and see where it's naturally starting to split.  That's where you want to drive your wedges for starters.  Use two wedges in the end if necessary.  Once you get the first split, the others will be easier.  You could use a chain saw to make a cut on the end of the log where the natural split has started if you need to help get your wedges started.

Good luck and be careful.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 08:00:39 pm »
I love hickory!  Not enough experience to offer ya any advice, but CONGRATS on the stash!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 08:19:01 pm »
Probably be a good idea to at least split them in half.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 08:31:11 pm »
Thanks a bunch guys! I will get to work on them as soon as possible. I live in the Missouri Ozark. When this was cut it was still pretty nice outside.
I've only worked with hickory a little. Trying now to get one floor tillered that was given to me at mojam.
I will post some pictures of the logs and my stave process asap.

Another question, how is the wood stats for mockernut hickory? I always have trouble finding and completely understanding it. Thanks, Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 09:12:01 pm »
if you split them into staves right now they will warp and wander no doubt.
id half or quarter the logs and wait a couple/few months before splitting any further.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 09:38:40 pm »
Thanks goat, with our weather the way it is I will probably only get them halved for a while. Then probably in a month or so I will quarter them. Thanks again for the help. Patrick

Offline okie64

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 10:02:40 pm »
Ive made a few bows from mockernut hickory, its good bow wood, usually about the same density as shagbark if not a little heavier. The biggest problem is the bark is usually very thick and extremely hard to remove on winter cut logs. I try to cut them in the spring for easy bark removal but sometimes you have to get it when you can. If your bark doesnt peel easy it makes great smoking wood too. ;) Good luck and keep us posted.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 10:15:28 pm »
Thanks oki, will do! I can't wait to get to carving on this stuff! I hope I can be patient enough! Patrick 

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 02:22:37 pm »
I harvested some shagbark in late September and the bark didn't want to budge from the quartered logs.  How would you experienced hickory guys go from there? 

Offline Drewster

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 02:31:53 pm »
Falcon, I harvested a large hickory this past March and the bark was still tight.  After splitting the log into billets, I carefully removed the bulk of the bark with my band saw, then finished the job with a draw knife and cabinet scraper.  The bark was easily an inch thick in places........110 year old tree.   You have to be careful with the band saw, but it will save you a LOT of time.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 02:44:35 pm »
I have never worked hickory before, what is it like chasing a ring?  Easy to see?

Offline DavidV

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 05:34:43 pm »
Hey Patrick, cut a two inch kerf down the middle with a circular saw following the grain best you can. You can split it real clean with wedges after that. Mockernut is the strongest hickory here in Missouri if it has a good ring ratio too.

I'm busy with finals for the next week and a half but after that I can bring some tools down and help you split em up if you want.
Springfield, MO

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 05:53:53 pm »
  Good luck!   YEEESH!   14" logs of hickory sound like a nightmare splitting job, but a lot of bows.  I split some 16" b. locust logs last year I thought were going to defeat me, and locust actually splits clean and easy compared to elm and hickory.

Quarters at least, with logs that big.  You could go smaller and even rough out bows if you can restrain them to dry.