Author Topic: Elm sapling D bow  (Read 10187 times)

Offline 4dog

Re: Elm sapling D bow
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2014, 08:00:43 am »
Beautiful bow Gilbert!! Love that elm stuff do ya ?? Expecting a couple of osage bows from you here on PA soon!
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2014, 08:55:24 am »
 Thunder,
                Don't know how I missed this post...but you have that D dialed in man, nice sapling bow for sure 8)
                                                                                                                                      Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2014, 10:12:04 am »
Very cool, beautiful tiller

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2014, 07:46:41 pm »
  Bad ASS, Thunder.  I work elm saplings more than anything else and you did fine work there for such a small diameter (high crown) at that length.   High praise!

I mostly have tons of slippery elm and I think Russian elm around here, growing at all the rivercourses, vacant lots, and foothills.   It's medium weight for elm, covered in pin knots and lumps, and has a lot of soft brown colored heartwood.  Not as good as American or Rock elm, but I still love it.  Keep that stuff up!

Offline Thunder

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2014, 12:12:57 am »
Thanks Springbuck...sometimes you have to do the best you can with what you have available. I have American Elm so thats what I use. :D
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born...and the day you find out why."  Mark Twain

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2014, 12:49:19 am »
Thunder, I'm glad you posted this bow you deserve the credit, cause that's a very nice bow. Great tiller also. Ever since the gtg in Summerville I have been looking at small trees a little different.  Great job  post some of the others also.

Offline OTDEAN

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2014, 03:59:27 am »
Hi thunder,

What a fantastic bow.  I have a piece of 60" Ash I have been wrestling with using heat to straighten it out before the tiller begins.  Was going to use it for my first crack at an East Woodlands style bow. I log on this morning, see your bow, feel inspired!  Those nocks are exactly what I want.  I know for a fact though my bow won't turn out anywhere near as good as yours!

Well done

Dean

Offline Parnell

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2014, 11:55:40 am »
I love 'em all, but when all is said and done bows like these are my all time favorites.  That is a great bow.
Look forward to seeing more of your stuff. :)
1’—>1’

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2014, 12:57:08 pm »
nice congrats :)

Offline OTDEAN

« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2014, 03:02:02 pm »
Thunder may I ask if the bow width tapered smoothly from 1 1/4" to 1/2" nocks or was there any parallel taper before tapering towards the nocks?

Dean

Offline Thunder

« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2014, 03:55:58 pm »
OTDEAN
There is a parallel section for about 1/3 of the limb (above and below the handle area) then  taper out to1" wide, the last 5" are tapered to 1/2". I hope that makes sense,  there's a pic of the limb tips posted. If you need more/better photos just let me know.
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born...and the day you find out why."  Mark Twain