Author Topic: Want to start primitive but I dont know where and how to start  (Read 7966 times)

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
Re: Want to start primitive but I dont know where and how to start
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2014, 11:38:40 pm »
I live in Oostburg, WI, not far from Sheboygan. If I'm not mistaken there is another guy on here that's from Neenah. I've made only two successful bows and this was my first year hunting with primitive equipment, so I don't know how much you'd learn from me but I thought I'd throw it out there.

mikekeswick

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 04:26:38 am »
This place is far and away the best place to start and learn and share. Better than any book and better than any video. Here you get a collection of knowledge from hundreds of bowyers, not just one or two than can afford to publish a book. Stick around here and read, read, read. Open threads that are asking for help and see why they are asking and what the answers may be.

Enjoy the ride

Not for everyone. I find forums can be useful but mainly you just get quick answer that don't go into the ways and wherefores of matters. I personally need to understand the whole process before I could ask specific questions on here that would get useful answers. I leant almost entirely from those books. Do you think many people are going to post FULL answers to beginners questions?? That would take pages and pages of writing..... I'm sorry but bow making can't be condensed into a few couple of line replies. There are four full volumes of the TBB series for a reason. They also are not written by one or two people.
Pearlie - It's different strokes for different folks  ;) I know for a fact if i'd had to learn solely off the internet instead of having the TBB's I would still be struggling.
Try learning how to make a hornbow off the internet.....then you really will struggle  ::)
My main point was to jump on in and make your own mistakes...just don't make them whilst still blind and unable to learn from them or else you'll go in circles at best  :)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2014, 04:33:22 am »
Hi Mike,  "or else you'll go in circles at best  :) "
Or with practice you can go in ellipses... tee hee  ;) ;D

"Jump in and make your own mistakes"... exactly!... they are the ones we learn most from.
I remember once when I was a nipper sawing a crossbow prod out of a car leaf spring, sawed on limb (as 3 straight sections) got 2/3 the way through the second limb and instead of sawing off the scrap, I sawed off the limb. :o >:( :'(
Now that really taught me to saw the right side of a scrap line! >:D
Del
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 04:38:10 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline GB

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2014, 06:33:18 am »
Hey Rick,
I about fell off my chair when I read that you live in Neenah, because that's where I live, too.  What are the odds?!  I've been making wood bows for about two years and I can help you get started on your bow if you want.  I'll email you and see what we can work out.
Greg
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!