Author Topic: Brand new shooter/hunter (Western NC)  (Read 10428 times)

Savate

Brand new shooter/hunter (Western NC)
« on: January 15, 2008, 06:57:57 am »
Was told about this site over at TradGang and have been learning a lot just reading.  I don't have plans to try and make my own bow (yet) but I might need to learn how to make my practice arrows (I just broke two yesterday!  :( )

I've been working with my Samick 40#@28" longbow in the yard but I'm shooting very inconsistent.  I think that the bare min pull for hunting here is 45# (they didn't tell us when I did my Hunter Ed course) but I'll worry about a new bow when I can get my shooting down with this one.   ::)

Any bros here from the Western NC area that could help me out (advice on gear, hunting spots, scouting...y'know, everything :) )

Offline DanaM

Re: Brand new shooter/hunter (Western NC)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 07:50:21 am »
Welcome to PA Savate, lots of folk here from NC, I'm sure one of em will be chirp up anytime.
For arrows the cheapest dollar wise is make your own, from cane or hardwood shoots, the shafta are free
but be prepared to spend lots of time on them especially at first. Go to the arrows section and read through
it and you will find tons of info on making arrows.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 11:28:25 am »
Where you at in western NC? I'm in Haywood County near Maggie/Waynesville/Clyde. Pat B is in Brevard, Tom B is in Hendersonville, Dingleberry in Burnsville, Huntersteve in Tryon, and a couple more I'm probably forgetting at the moment scattered around here and there. As for the bow weight, the NCWRC dropped the legal hunting weight to 40# just this year.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Savate

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 07:56:57 pm »
Hillbilly...you are very near me!  I'm in Bethel (Waynesville area)!

I purchased my bow at Right on Target in Maggie Valley.  Maybe we can meet sometime and talk archery.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 09:30:45 pm »
Sure thing, not too hard to get me to talk bows.  :)  Les and his wife have a good shop over there, and seems like they're carrying more traditional archery supplies all the time. Les is probably the guy to give you some shooting pointers, too-I think both he and his wife are former state champions or something like that.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 01:44:54 am »
Welcome Savate. Like Hillbilly said I'm in Brevard.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline huntersteve

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 05:11:10 am »
welcome to PA Savate.....I'm not too far from you just down I-26 in the Columbus/Tryon area in Polk Co.....I'm still pretty new to traditional bows but learning more every day....there's alot of great people here at PA to help us newcomers....maybe we can sling some arrows sometime..Steve
Tryon,N.C.

tradrick

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 05:32:36 am »
You came to the right place.I'm still new at this bow building myself.And I learn something new everyday.These guys really know their stuff.Be prepared for a long and fun journey.I started out with a compound.Then went to a recurve,then longbow(glass bows) and now selfbows.And I have to admit I like the selfbows and building my own stuff the best.The more I learn the more I'm hooked.Enjoy tradrick

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 01:42:49 am »
Welcome aboard brother... I live just northwest of you in beautiful Wyoming USA... lol  these guys will be able to help you get things figured out with your setup.... top notch bunch of guys and gals here no worries ..... welcome and good hunting.... Mike... A/Ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Bishop

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 10:52:11 pm »
Welcome Savate
This is a funa nd informative group, i learn something new ever day.
Bishop

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 11:36:39 pm »
  Welcome Savate, You're in good hands with Hillbilly and Pat and the rest of those mountain boys. Sometimes this ol' cracker heads that way to see who I can corrupt.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 01:28:03 am »
Hillbilly, If your talking about the Les that has the shop down on Johnathan creek, check out that rooster he has in the pen out behind his shop.  I never in my life seen a set of spurs like them. The last time I was over there they were at least 3" long.  And your right, him and his wife are both former state champs.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 09:31:48 am »
Saw Filer, it's a small world, huh  :) I live about 3 miles off J-Creek. You come down here very often?
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2008, 12:17:16 am »
  Sawfiler, You are as bad as me. I have some spurs from a full grown Cornish Game Hen that are almost 3" long
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2008, 02:45:15 am »
Eddie, I guess you could say I'm fascinated by them.  Long beards on a gobbler don't do nothing for me, but you put a nice long set of hooks on him and that just tears me up!!!  I've let a lot of gobblers walk because I thought they were young and had short spurs.  If I ever kill a gobbler with spurs like Les's rooster, i'll ruin my britches.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.