Author Topic: Bow Strings  (Read 2040 times)

Offline BrokenArrow

Bow Strings
« on: November 18, 2014, 06:43:20 pm »
Can you or is there an advantage to using B-55 and throwing in a few strands of fast flight to reduce stretch??

Offline KS51

Re: Bow Strings
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 06:51:58 pm »
Personally, I wouldn't mix string materials.  Each material has it's own rate of stretch and under tension, you could possibly have the FF string taking an excessive portion of the load until the other materials catch up.  At worst, the FF could break  and create a potentially dangerous situation.  At best you have stretchier material not carrying much tension and you are losing energy to wasted moving mass.  JMO YMMV

Ken

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 08:00:57 pm »
I'm short on experience but I would not recommend mixing B-55 and Fast Flight.   
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 08:05:33 pm by ajbruggink »

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 08:34:24 pm »
Ive made three really ugly strings consisting of four/4 strands of fast flight plus for the body of the string and twelve added strands of b50 in the loops. They worked, they were durrable enough to be dragged through the woods for dozens of hours over the course of a month, but they were noisy and took a lot of twist to adjust.

But anyway, I wouldn't suggest mixing material. Ff can take being the only thing working, but the other stuff wont be taught under tension without a bunch of fenangling.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 10:34:41 pm »
Good advice. Fast flight plus is great stuff. I have one spool of the B55 and cant say I would recommend it to anyone. 
12 strand fast flight with the 0.30 BCY Halo braided serving makes a nice string, with durability, performance, and a good fit with standard nocks.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 05:31:07 pm »
I use BCY 425X 2x3 strands, strengthened at the ears with 2x2 B50. This constuction is used up to 75# drawweight.
The string double served at the finger position to match the nock slots of the arras.
This is a very light and a very thin string, I use those meanwhile on all my bows. That B50 stuff is sorted out.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany