Author Topic: Greetings from blizzard-ville (Northern Mi.)  (Read 9170 times)

Offline half eye

Greetings from blizzard-ville (Northern Mi.)
« on: November 18, 2014, 10:46:13 am »
My brother who's really in bad shape usually get together for some rifle hunting the first week of deer season. Turns out we barely made it to the spots I had set up for him.....crotch deep snow about killed both us old farts....anyways though ya might like some "snow" pics.
rich
PS: this is a bit much even for around here ::) Been blowin since the 14th

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Re: Greetings from blizzard-ville (Northern Mi.)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 10:52:07 am »
Will count blessings for the minimal amount we have.  But, as someone said, "when given lemons, . . . ."
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 10:57:59 am »
...make lemon snow cones!  ;D
 I like snow but.....
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

JacksonCash

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 11:05:50 am »
My folks in the U.P. have gotten it pretty hard over the last week or so. Down here by the thumb we don't have hardly anything but cold.

Offline half eye

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 11:09:04 am »
No sir......never, and I mean NEVER eat the yella snow :o  Ya Jackson, me have nearly identical weather as Newberry.....love me some of that lake effect, thank ya Lord could we have some more, please!!!!! not

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 01:00:00 pm »
Send some of that White gold my way. I'm itching to try out the new plow truck!
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 01:46:55 pm »
Yikes.  What happened to autumn? 
Do you use snowshoes, Rich?
That's gotta be very hard on your deer population if it keeps up.
1’—>1’

Offline Parnell

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 02:43:05 pm »
Rich, I've been showing the pictures to my students today in class.  The majority of them have NEVER seen snow before. :)
1’—>1’

Offline stickbender

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 04:43:31 pm »
Rich, I've been showing the pictures to my students today in class.  The majority of them have NEVER seen snow before. :)

Take them on a field trip to Rich's house, and give each of them a snow shovel, and let them see just how light and fluffy, snow is.  Then you can put the smallest, on the roof, to shovel off the snow load there.  I bet Rich would even feed them, and give each of them, a real honest to goodness, honest Injun arrow, to take home with them. ;)  In fact, I bet OL Rich would even go so far as to let each of them chop fire wood, to warm up, and see what our pioneer ancestors had to do to survive the harsh winters.  Boy, what a lesson in history.  Then take them ice fishing.  But first put inner tubes around them, for when they slip and fall, and if they should find the only thin spot on the lake.  Give them foot ball helmets, and elbow, knee, and shin guards, also.  Yepher, I just bet OL Rich, being the kind Hearted guy he is, would go all out for those kids, letting them chop fire wood, shovel snow off his roof, and then piling it up on the sidewalk, and maybe after lunch, they could make a real honest to Nanook goodness Igloo!  Right on the sidewalk where they piled the snow from Rich's driveway, and roof.  Then I bet Rich would even let them stack that fire wood, and learn how to do it properly, with an artistic style.  Shoot, I bet he would even give an extra biscuit to the kid who got the field mice out of the existing wood pile, and even let the kid who ran off the skunk that was living there also, stay in the igloo, for the rest of his stay.  He could even borrow Rich's Coleman lantern, and camp stove to make hot chocolate, and cook his own food, just like Inuits do.  Even cook fat back and pretend it is whale blubber.  Boy, what a win, win, situation that would be.  So start talking to some of the kids parents.  I am sure they would love to be rid of the kids for a week or two.  Who knows, maybe there will be a new baby Sister, or Brother, in the hanger, when they get back to the flight line.  Boy wouldn't they have something to talk about with the other kids!  Aww man, did we have a blast, we did all kinds of pioneer stuff, Man, that guy let us chop firewood, and have contests to see who could chop the most wood, and stack it, in an hour, and then we had snow ball fights, he showed us how to make a slush ball, and compress it, and man it is like a hard ball.  Hey bill show them where your front teeth used to be!  Then Tommy caught a Skunk, and then he got to live in the real igloo, and the guy said he will make a hat for him.  He said the Indians, thought those who wore a Skunk hat instead of a Racoon hat were ..... special! ::)  Hey you should see about getting in Mr. Parnell's class.  It's a cool class!  It's all in how you word it to them. ;)  Sort of like the military recruiters ;)  ::)   Take it easy up there, We are trying to take it easy down here, it has been stormy, and rainy, and now..... there is a cold front here, and it is damp, and COLD, why it must be in the upper 60's to low 70's at the moment.  Well I guess we all have to suffer in our own ways, to survive.  Now where did I put those long sleeve shirts, I had one time.  Oh, in Montana.  Oh well I guess I will just have huddle under my sheet, to stay warm.  Ooooh, a cold beer first.
Thanks for the Pictures, Rich.

Wayne

« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 08:46:43 pm by stickbender »

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 06:17:57 pm »
Looks a lot like my place Rich. I was wondering just this morning if you were gonna be posting some snow pics. I wouldn't feel bad about not doing much rifle hunting, everybody I talked to this week is not seeing much, here in west Michigan anyway.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline bow101

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 07:58:04 pm »
I saw you folks got 'er good on the weather network thats some dump  :o
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 08:43:32 pm »
looks much the same 2 1/2 hours south of ya
just got done with 3 hours of snow removal here.
I haven't seen this muck snow in mid November in a looong time
Kevin

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 09:16:33 pm »
A bit early but time to start making bows inside...
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 08:05:47 am »
No thank you. I like it where I'm at.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline half eye

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2014, 08:16:06 am »
Yep It's all good....suppossed to keep it up the next few days then for 3 days it's gonna get up to 36-38 range and rain. Cant wait. Re-read the first post and wanted to say that Dan is not out of shape....he's got total renal failure but we'll get 'em next year.

This much snow is just unusual cause it's so early. The deer seem able to survive it cause we got a whole lot of swamp bottom and cedar woods for 'em to be able to make it.....but we do have a lot of "fawn kill" when the brouse line gets up about 5 feet or so.

just how it is fellas.
rich