Author Topic: Splinter raising at my 2nd bow, please help..  (Read 3528 times)

Offline dratera

Splinter raising at my 2nd bow, please help..
« on: November 17, 2014, 01:32:29 pm »
Hi everyone, new here, and new to bowmaking.

Was finishing my second bow ever, and was devastated when i spotted these splinters near the handle. Ive researched a bit and know i can superglue it and wrap it and so on, but would really appreciate some expert input from you guys. Been putting too much effort and time into this bow so hope this is saveable? I heat treated the belly with heat gun, maybe too much and waited just 2 days before bending it again, and probably too hastely drawing it to full draw..

Back it? scrape down to another growthring? it looks quite superficial, maybe just the top ring. Its ash

Ok, going to the shower to lay down into fetus position and cry, hope somebody could help me out meanwhile...

Offline dratera

Re: Splinter raising at my 2nd bow, please help..
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 01:34:17 pm »
Difficult getting a good picture of it, was sealing it with some oil stuff when i spotted it, it got kindof glued back into the bow.

And now i noticed i have posted picture of my old dirty boxers for the whole internet too see, sorry about that

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 01:56:02 pm »
Is the bow strung in the 4th pic? where is the splinter in that pic?
If so, could it be your tiller is off? when the bow bends only in that area of the splinter, you have first to adjust the tiller.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 02:12:46 pm »
yes,, need more details about the tiller,, weight at what draw etc,, and maybe a partial draw pic,,,, at this point I think it would be easy to save,, but would require a wrap for safety,,,but its not that bad,, just take you time,, and you can do it :)

Offline dratera

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 02:54:29 pm »
Thanks simson, brad, really appreciate the input. Its strung on the 4th, the splinter is on the lower limb, about 2 inches from where the fade stops. Looking at the tiller now, unbraced, it is awful. Where the splinter raised it is too thin compared to the rest. Couldnt really get my head around how to tiller it after i steamed in some recurve, when you are making recurves, should one tiller it and finish it before heat bending the tips? And should thickness taper towards the tips or stay the same through the whole "pyramid"?
Also the back is quite bumpy, just removed the bark to get to the first growthring.  Really uneven stuff.

Draw weight at 28 " was about 44 lbs. It quickly got to ca 35 at short draw and slowly towards 28" got close to 44. Everything got real messy when i started tillering, because the recurve on the lowest limb didnt match the top limb. Lol still pretty green at this stuff

Not sure if i dare drawing it without patching or anything first?

Here is unbraced pic atleast

Think what tricked me is that the back is nearly flat near the handle, and gets more and more concave outwards

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 05:34:53 pm »
Judging from the thickness of your limb there it loos like it may have been a hinge. Hard to say without stringing it.
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 06:16:03 pm »
the wood looks too thin there, and probably bending or working too much,, the rest of the limb needs to be thinner now,, dont touch there,,
you may miss the weight,, but just even the tiller for practice, wrap that area with sinew and give it a go, recurves are difficult,, maybe a straight stave bow next time ,, till your tiller eye gets some experience

Offline bushboy

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 06:19:43 pm »
Can you take a photo of it unbraced at a right angle?something like this
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline dratera

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 07:33:12 pm »
Hey guys, sorry for asking and running, just got fed up with the whole bow thing. Thanks for the feedback, ive finished it up now and it shoots ok. Went crazy with wrappings and glue, and tried to tiller out the hinge. Its still in one piece and no more splinters. Doing a straight flatbow atm. Here are some pics for you

http://

« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 07:43:24 pm by dratera »

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 08:17:56 pm »
I completely understand. Glad you stuck with it. the next one will be better, I hear. Hang in there.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 08:44:20 pm »
Looks like you "saved" it - it is still shooting.  Bow building is a process of learning and improving.  Enjoy it.  Some are "masters" and make incredible bows out of anything. Others (like myself) are still early on in the process.  Your bows will continue to get better.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch