Author Topic: Does any use a level on the tillering tree first to correctly seat bow?  (Read 1993 times)

birdpointlightstring32

I am a full time parent, full time worker, and a no time bowyer. lol.  8) Just needed some hints on how to properly seat stave on tillering tree when first checking tiller. I have a snaky stave from a small diameter hickory sapling. my handle area is straight so I assume I can set a level there directly on top of the center of handle then pull the long string down to a low brace and just keep on checking the level to see if im not turned at an angle. just remembered reading the bent stick and using the extra string going straight across with the long string and measuring distance between the straight string and the back of stave at different points.  ::) .

Offline jeffp51

Re: Does any use a level on the tillering tree first to correctly seat bow?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 02:02:03 am »
I use one.  Seems to help.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 03:00:20 am »
NO! >:(
Because a bow doesn't sit square in you hand when you first take up strain on the string.
Because your hand supports the bow just below the point where you pull the string, a bow tilts upper limb pulls towards you when you first start to pull it.
Occasionally I'll set it up dead centre and dead centre pull if I'm unsure about something, but generally I try to mimic the real draw.
If you do it all central and level you can get a nasty shock when you see the real life draw
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 03:10:56 am »
No there is no need to use a level. Apart from when you initially making a tillering board or whatever.

Offline Holten101

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 03:52:49 am »
No...nothing is ever level, uniform or even with selfbows anyways.

I measure total length, middle and use a string to help me with string alignment, thats it. It my personal opinion that  measuring should be avoided (or kept to a minimum) on selfbows....it blurs the feel, and hampers intuition.

Let the stave tell you what it wants:-)

Cheers (I realise how hippie I sound;-)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 06:56:14 am »
Never used a level, I just center it and level it by eye. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 07:53:52 am »
What's a tillering tree? What kind of tree is it? Can a bow be made from this type of tree ???  ::) ...... :laugh:

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 09:01:47 am »
You want the bow to tip back and forth, that's a good way to find balance in the end.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 09:59:01 am »
I used a level when I nailed by 2x6 tillering tree to the window frame at the foot of my bed, just to get the "seat" (two screw in bow hanging hooks) level.  As far as leveling the prospective bow... No.  Just eyeball it and adjust.  Not much in nature is pipe straight anyway.  As long as the limbs bend decently it's good.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 02:29:54 pm »
  Some guys use straps and other setups to ensure the bow tilts on purpose if it is off.

I just stick it in about level, and shim it into a close approximation of where it would balance in my hand.  And I hold and pull the bow a couple inches even with the long string, just to see what happens.  My pulling string is designed to slide up and down the string if forces are really off,.and I can tell that way.

Offline bow101

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 03:03:11 pm »
NO! >:(
Because a bow doesn't sit square in you hand when you first take up strain on the string.
Because your hand supports the bow just below the point where you pull the string, a bow tilts upper limb pulls towards you when you first start to pull it.
Occasionally I'll set it up dead centre and dead centre pull if I'm unsure about something, but generally I try to mimic the real draw.
If you do it all central and level you can get a nasty shock when you see the real life draw
Del

Thats why I use the glass mirror image with bow in hand.  Tiller stick is just for roughing 'er out and getting an ideal profile.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 03:49:56 pm »
No but I used to. It was a mistake. The stave just needs to balance. What i have done is remove wood so it balances evenly before I've started long string tillering.
That is assuming the handle is straight.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!