Author Topic: need help with the tillering  (Read 9763 times)

Offline huntersteve

need help with the tillering
« on: January 14, 2008, 11:35:13 am »
this is a bamboo backed red oak board bow that I've been working on....trying to finish up the tillering....It's obvious that the left limb which is the bottom limb is not bending as much as it needs too.....where should I remove wood to get this bow bending properly.....Thanks..Steve

[attachment deleted by admin]
Tryon,N.C.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: need help with the tillering
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 11:40:10 am »
I would slowly remove wood fairly evenly from the whole limb now until it starts to catch up with the other one. Be sure to exercise it between scrapings. Also looks like you may have a slight hinge developing about a quarter of the way out on the right limb-keep an eye on that spot and don't take anymore wood from the area where it's bending more than the rest of the limb. Anywhere that looks like a straight line needs some scraping. Just take it slow and easy, exercise the wood, and keep posting pics.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline huntersteve

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 11:47:40 am »
thanks Hillbilly.....I'll work on it some more and post more pics.......
Tryon,N.C.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 11:48:27 am »
I agree with Hilbilly's assessment, the left limb looks pretty good just needs to be caught up.  Sometimes I'd rather have a problem spot, it gives you more direction than just thinning the whole limb.

Run a 4" straightedge along the belly and look at the gap between wood and edge, that'll tell you where things are bending more or less.  Try and catch that strong limb up first, a strong limb puts more stress on the other limb.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline huntersteve

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 12:24:54 pm »
thanks for the help guys....I'll work on it some more tomorrow morning after I get off work....working that wonderful graveyard shift....I'll post more pics tomorrow...Steve
Tryon,N.C.

Offline huntersteve

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 12:11:29 pm »
well...I worked on the left (bottom) limb some more this morning....I thinks it's better than it was but still needs some more work.....do I need to keep removing small amounts of wood over the whole limb? any help is appreciated....Steve

Tryon,N.C.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 12:34:11 pm »
Looks like to me the first 8 10 in. out of the fades till you get them a little more even.then you can work on the rest of the limb. :) It's coming along pretty good  now.Go easy. :)
      Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 12:36:34 pm »
Also make sure you have it center on the tiller stick,it may just be the picture but looks like it is a little off to one side. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline huntersteve

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 12:40:18 pm »
thanks Pappy.....I'll work on the limb some more and post pics tomorrow....steve
Tryon,N.C.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 12:45:32 pm »
Be sure to exercise it good between scraps and you might pull it down another notch after
this scraping.It might tell you a little more. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 02:35:31 pm »
You might also start at the fades and mark on the edge of each limb a straight line with a pencil going from back to belly in 2" or 3" increments out to the tips. Then with the first line from the fades number it "1", next line "2", etc. Do this for both limbs such that for example mark number "2" on the top limb is at the same location as mark number "2" on the lower limb. Then with a straight edge ruler you can measure perpendular from the string to the belly of the bow and compare the limbs to each other. This is just another type of method to go along with using a 4" straight edge on the belly to find flat spots as already suggested... just using your eye for comparison, etc. If you think an area of the limb is flat, measuring and comparing may help you to confirm it is and help you make the decision to scrape in a certain spot. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline huntersteve

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 01:26:05 am »
well I've been working on the tillering some more.....It's braced at 5 1/4".....should I increase the brace height??....I think it looks better than it did...but could probably use some more work.....the scales say it is about 52#'s @ 27" and 64" n/n.....take a look and tell me what needs to be done...thanks Steve

« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 08:38:57 am by huntersteve »
Tryon,N.C.

Offline huntersteve

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 08:41:03 am »
anyone?????...If not....I think I'll finish this one up.......Steve
Tryon,N.C.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2008, 10:19:00 am »
I think the left limb looks great. I think the right limb is bending a little to much in the fade. Maybe go out to midlimb and take about 5 good scrapes on the right limb if you have weight to spare. If you are close to your target weight and draw length, I would say you are close enough and to stop right there.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline huntersteve

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 11:18:08 am »
thanks Justin.....I'm pretty close to where I want to be on draw weight...How much do you think it will drop....I guess that's hard to tell....I may take a few scrapes off anyway....Steve
Tryon,N.C.