Author Topic: kid bow with issues  (Read 1203 times)

Offline jeffp51

kid bow with issues
« on: November 09, 2014, 02:07:53 pm »
My son saw me working on a bow and wanted one too.  If I can make it work, I might be able to start thinking of myself as a bowyer.  The wood is mountain maple and it is 51" long tip to tip.  I am aiming for about 15 pounds @ 18 inches of draw. There are two main problems, I think.  the first is the chip out of the back and the second is the knot on the belly.  It looks like a twig that was grown over.  Is there a way to make this work?  I am wondering if I can scrape the back and smooth out the chip.  the maple is diffuse porous, so I can't chase a ring, but there doesn't seem to be much grain at all, so I hope if I just keep it smooth, it will work at that low weight anyway.  I will probably also back with "cotton rattler" (fabric) skins--the boy keeps seeing too many of all your bows and gets ideas. . .

For the knot, can I just fill it with superglue, or should I drill it out?

Offline Blaflair2

Re: kid bow with issues
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 02:11:18 pm »
U can fill with superglue. Does the limb flare out around the knot? U may back it? Rawhide.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: kid bow with issues
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 02:23:42 pm »
The knot on the belly is no problem but you could fill it with super glue and saw dust if you wanted too. You could sand the edges of the chip smooth and it should be OK. If you are going to back it anyway just add a little super glue around the edges of the chip. The draw weight is light enough and the bow long enough for the draw that neither should be an issue.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC