Author Topic: Rasps: Off the Shelf or the Best:  (Read 11026 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Rasps: Off the Shelf or the Best:
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 09:56:06 am »
My first rasps were either flea market finds, inherited or a 4 in 1 I bought. Farriers rasps are great and if you know a farrier he will probably give you a used one. I think you can buy one new for about $20.
 You don't have to break the bank to get started. Once you decide you are hooked, then you can splurge on better tools.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2014, 10:15:47 am »
  My Torges rasp wore out after about 2 bows. I can get at least a couple of years out of a nicholson 49 and still cutting very well. I use a 1/2 round metal file after the nicholson and then the scraper. I don't use rasps for tillering only when smooting a tear out or working around a belly knot. I use them mainly in the handles and outer limb areas also rounding the edges on a bow.

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2014, 10:18:32 am »
If you can find a feed shop locally, or a place that sells saddles and such, you can get farriers rasps for less than 20 bucks.  Place down the road from me sells em for 12 dollars each, brand new, and they cut like a dream compared to what I used before.  I started off using the short Nicholson rasp/chisel combo jobbies cause they were cheap, and I remember thinking that was a good deal - I mean I got 4 rasps in a package and I'm sure they will work right?  They sucked, horrible for making bows with, just horrible.  I didn't know how horrible until I got a Nicholson #49 in a trade, I threw those other ones in the trash after using the #49 for about 20 minutes. 

Point being in all that that a good rasp will make your work so much more enjoyable.  You don't have to spend a ton of money, but spend some to get a good farriers rasp or a good cabinet makers rasp.  You won't regret it.
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline Drewster

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2014, 10:41:35 am »
Based on my experience, you got some good advice from Pat B and Sidmand.......go for it!
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2014, 11:29:39 am »
Thanks for the good advice.  Now let's see--feed or saddle shops in rural South Texas.  I might be able to find one or two or a thousand.  😊

How much difference would you say there is between a Nicholson 49 and 50?

Best regards,

Russ
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2014, 12:51:27 pm »
Not much difference that I could see but I did prefer the #49. You should be able to find a used farriers rasp for free or very cheap in your area. It will still be sharp enough for bow making.
After I get to floor tiller I rarely use more than a scraper. I use the rasps for shaping around the handle/fade areas and reducing limb thickness early on.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2014, 02:33:08 pm »
Nope. Used a surform for so many bows I can't remember. I alternate it with a scraper-like tool (Swedish push knife held at nearly right angles).
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2014, 03:47:34 pm »
Sorry to hijack my own thread, but the more I read about it on other threads (he said in a raspy voice), the more I worry--not about my ability to remove lots of wood--or even to scrape.  But keeping the right edge on the scraper seems like a real nightmare.  I did see one video that was pretty instructive.
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2014, 04:17:25 pm »
if you are working osage, ,nicholson will last longer..it is a  good investment

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2014, 04:26:29 pm »
You can send your dull rasps to Boggs tool sharpening and they will come back scary sharp. I've used their services in the past and was very pleased.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2014, 05:01:20 pm »
I have hand cut files and have cheap files as well.  For rough work I use the cheapos and then switch to the hand cut for a finer finish.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2014, 05:49:44 pm »
At one time there was a Bellotta in the trading post. Tyke has a few he gets from a farrier friend. Hit him up if you are looking for one to trade for. I love mine.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2014, 12:23:51 am »
Farrier's rasp - twenty bucks or so from tractor supply.  It does everything I need for a rasp to do.  The rough side hogs off wood quickly.  Alternating between the fine side of the farrier's rasp and the scraper during tillering is my way.    I use a sharp pocket knife for a scraper for the finish tillering.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

mikekeswick

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2014, 03:02:03 am »
Raising a strong burr on a scraper is worthy of an article in it's own right. Just like rasps there is a world of difference in a properly prepared scraper compared to a quicky. I suggest buying Dean Torges book about osage bow making. He explains all this stuff.

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2014, 02:59:39 pm »
Well, I dropped a few (actually a lot) of bucks on various rasps, scrapers, a draw knife (I know, I know 😀), a couple of tillering strings, and a burnishing tool I don't know how to use yet.  I have an unused tool box from home Despot already equipped with various saws, hammers, chisels, and what not that will serve as my bow-box.

I will order that book to go with the growing library!