Author Topic: damaged back  (Read 2432 times)

Offline wvbowhntr

damaged back
« on: November 08, 2014, 04:29:53 pm »
When I was trying to get the propeller twist out of my stave the rag I had protecting my stave moved and I didn't realize it and the wrench damaged the back. Can this be saved or is it firewood.   It's black locust that damage is about 13 in from the tip.

As for me and my house we will serve The Lord.  Greg in WV

Offline wizardgoat

Re: damaged back
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 04:45:20 pm »
Looks pretty bad. Can you chase another ring?

Offline bushboy

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 05:32:01 pm »
I would take a cotton cloth,wet it very well, cover it with tin foil and heat it with a gun for about 5 mins,let it cool and take a look before chasing a ring.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 07:43:34 am »
I would take a cotton cloth,wet it very well, cover it with tin foil and heat it with a gun for about 5 mins,let it cool and take a look before chasing a ring.
+1
Where abouts on the limb? if it's near the grip or the tip, it's prob' ok... mind I'm not so familiar with Osage... that would be no problem with Yew.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 12:50:42 pm »
 Man I hate that happen to your bow...Even if I could halfway fix it, it would drive me nuts. Looks to be a small vertical crack just left and below the knot also? I've never worked Black Locust but I would say that back ring is doomed, JMHO. Do you have enough left to chase another ring?
                                                                                                                                Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 02:48:27 pm »
If you have pretty much arrived at your desired weight, chasing a ring is going to ruin the bow. If the grain is just mashed and not severed, it  will probably be fine. A soaking in superglue would be in order.

I'd either just try it on the tillering rack to see what happens or perhaps back the bow with sinew.

Most likely,  I'd just shoot it and see if it broke.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline wvbowhntr

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 03:13:20 pm »
thanks for the replies.  i'll try the wet cotton cloth and heat gun.  the stave is just barely bending on the floor right now but the rings are pretty thick so im afraid if i chase another it will be too thin. 
As for me and my house we will serve The Lord.  Greg in WV

Offline GB

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 05:40:50 pm »
I like that wet rag and heat gun idea and hope it pops that ding out for you.  Years ago I installed hardwood flooring and once in a while we'd dent a kitchen cabinet face.  Yeah, got a little careless swinging the mallet again  ::).  We took out some sizable dents with an iron on the steam setting.  Always nice when the homeowner was gone when that happened.  ;)
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 06:02:57 pm »
I think it is fixable,, i would wrap the area in sinew as a safe guard,,,it could will still make a fine bow,, 

Offline okie64

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 07:28:43 pm »
If that top ring is thick enough I would try feathering that dent out with a scraper and sandpaper. Just be sure to feather it out over about a 6 inch area that way you dont get a hinge in that spot.