Author Topic: A Goldmine of Sinew:  (Read 7387 times)

Offline maitus

Re: A Goldmine of Sinew:
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2014, 04:07:57 pm »

Offline PatM

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2014, 05:28:24 pm »
Outlaw: not certain, but I am pretty sure I am not getting access above where you mention.  He cuts the ham off and there is a small amount of meat--then going further down, there is the major joint--what I was calling the knee, and then the bone that goes down to the hoof.  I am only getting that latter tendon.  Are you saying that it turns the corner of the joint and continues up into the meat?

Scottski: Before I trade any, I want to make sure that what I am getting out of the critters has not been damaged and is as long as possible.  I will take a look at it in February.

Best regards,

Russ
The superficial flexor tendon goes around the outside of the "heel"(hock) and then continues up into the equivalent of the Achilles tendon before blending into the muscle. The portion going around the outside has a flattened cupped portion that looks a bit like a pouch in a sling.
 The deeper flexor tendon goes through a sort of channel a bit deeper in the joint and also continues up into the muscle.
 Neither of these upper sections will be available if the joint is cut through.
 If  the cut is a bit higher try pulling on the deep flexor tendon and you will see the tendon visible above the joint pop through the tunnel.
 The superficial one is stuck to the outside of the point of the hock and needs to be cut free somewhat. That pouch portion is somewhat  more like cartilage and doesn't really want to shred reliably.

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2014, 07:05:30 pm »
Great video,  got it!

Damn, outlaw, next time I have orthopedic issues, I'm hiring you to do the surgery!

Best regards,

Russ
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2014, 07:39:09 pm »
Actually, the processor had been giving me a leg with quite a bit of the lowest meat on it.  But based on my first experiments, I had asked him to cut the legs off below the knee (or hock) joint--up at the dogleg, in other words.  Having seen this video and based in your explanations, I called him
tonigjt and asked him to go back to the original way.  Man, but this guy is cooperative. I'll guarantee you, at Christmas, a C-note is going to change hands!

Russ
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline Comancheria

Very Encouraging!
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2014, 03:12:00 pm »
It has been barely 4 days now, since I harvested my first batch of leg tendons and hung them up to dry in a fine mesh minnow trap with the ends sealed.  Checked them this morning and they were dry and hard as rocks.  Moreover, they were translucent.  In about two weeks, I will be taking a 120 quart ice chest over to pick up a hundred or more.  I fully intend to explore the advice about getting a longer run by pulling the tendon around the joint.  Tomorrow, I will do the pounding and shredding as the next experiment.

Question: Do you think there is any point where I can safely take them out of mesh storage, seal them in Zip locks and put them in a closed, airless container to keep critters away?

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2014, 04:17:10 pm »
I keep mine in a plastic gallon coffee can with no problems. I also have some processed sinew in a zip lock bag. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2014, 12:55:12 pm »
I keep mine in a non-airtight plastic bin and don't have any problem with critters.  I have some in a ziplock bag but those are very dry and processed.  I've had a few that started to smell bad after some months in a sealed bag, so I make sure the tendon is very dry.

And you don't need to seal the ends.   :)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2014, 08:17:51 pm »
Dragging this up from retirement for the sole purpose of reporting that when things sound to good to be true--they will probably turn out not to be.  What started out to be "hundreds"
Has turned into tens.  After the trial batch, the processor, when I called him, said to call back this week.  I did and he had 15 legs for me--chopped so short I may be lucky to get 6 inch lengths out of them.  I have one more shot at the "goldmine" after Christmas.

Best regards,

Russ

Offline PatM

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2014, 09:07:21 pm »
"Thousands" was a word mentioned originally. ;D

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2014, 09:50:00 pm »
Yep.  Part of it was communications.  The guy is nice--really nice.  He had my phone number but said he threw away a bunch he had been holding for me.  And now they have a new procedure, cutting them off below the hock.  I'll see what transpires.  Maybe next year I'll offer him 50 cents apiece if he will cut them high like my first batch.  Ah, well...