Author Topic: New to primitive archery, and I have some questions  (Read 1866 times)

Offline Ishi1234

New to primitive archery, and I have some questions
« on: November 05, 2014, 03:17:11 pm »
Hello everyone, I really like the website so far but I have a few questions. For a while I have been trying to get into primitive archery. But to do that I would need a bow, but I have been saving up for one. The bow I'm trying to get would be an Ötzi style yew longbow (inspired by shawn woods' videos on the topic). But if I could get that bow it would be my first bow that I have ever owned. Do you guys have any advice about a bow that could serve as a starter bow to give me some expearance with bows?

Offline Badger

Re: New to primitive archery, and I have some questions
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 04:01:07 pm »
    Ishi, for starters you would need to know a comfortable draw weight and draw length. You can have a friend involved in archery help you with this. If you are not going to be hunting with the bow and have no previous experience in archery I would suggest a 1st bow of around 35# or 40#. You will need to know how to treat and store a woodbow. Not much to learn but you don't leave them braced wehn not in use. You try to store them in a relatively dry place but not too dry. You never draw them past what they were built to draw. You don't dryfire them with no arrow in place. You may need to maintain the finish and touch it up now and then. Just basic stuff.

I would really recomend you make your own. If you start with a board and your first 3 or 4 are failures you will still be shooting for under $50.00 and know how to make a bow.  Good luck. Steve

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 04:24:29 pm »
Steve nailed it, it's much more satisfying to create your own bow than just buy one,and you can get all the free advice you want right here :)
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 04:50:02 pm »
Absolutely.  Look at some of the board bows being built and go for it.  You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
1’—>1’

Offline Drewster

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 07:03:39 pm »
I would like to re-emphasize NOT to over-bow yourself to start with.  A lighter bow will allow you to develop better form as you learn to shoot.  I would suggest not go over 35# for starters and you can move up in weight over time as you progress and build some muscle tone.  Have fun and be safe.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 07:12:47 pm »
I would like to re-emphasize NOT to over-bow yourself to start with.  A lighter bow will allow you to develop better form as you learn to shoot.  I would suggest not go over 35# for starters and you can move up in weight over time as you progress and build some muscle tone.  Have fun and be safe.
Yep.  Lighter-pulling bow lets you shoot 'n' shoot 'n' shoot without tiring.  Tiring is a sure pathway to bad form.  Good luck!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Ishi1234

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 01:48:05 pm »
Thank you all of the advice! Also one of my moms friends does archery and he can show me some things or two. Also his father does more of medieval archery.

Offline duke3192

• pm109331
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 09:55:22 pm »
Post location and see who is close that could help.
charter member of traditional bow hunters of Florida.